Thursday 29 November 2007

Bag Lady

It’s getting towards that time of year when my head feel like it will explode from all the detail contained within it. It does seem to be the lot of a mother that along with childbirth and breastfeeding, remembering every single detail of your children’s young lives will fall to you and you alone. I have become the repository of the communal family memory. I need to remember presents for class teachers, costume requirements for school plays, evenings when I need to book a babysitter, days when K has to be in school all day, days when she comes home at 12.00, days when J has after-school activities, days when he doesn’t but does need to bring his PE kit home. I need to remember what they wrote on their letters to Father Christmas but have changed their minds about; things I need for packed lunches but I haven’t got in the house, what homework needs to be done and where the library books are and and and …you get the picture. All run-of-the-mill stuff that goes with the territory of having children, and probably sounds positively lightweight to those with more than two, but which at certain times of the year threatens to overload the system in anticipation of an almighty crash.

I was vaguely wondering what it would feel like when I didn’t have to be a walking memory-deposit for other people’s lives, when I glanced in my bag. And was jolted back a few years, to when going out of the house was a military manoeuvre. Time was when my bag had money and make-up. No mobile phone, back then, but usually a card from a mini-cab company, a pen for scribbling down numbers, maybe a couple of Nurofen. Then, instead of things that only I might need, my bag was invaded – and, indeed, had to be upgraded. Bottles. Breast pads. Wipes. Tissues. Nappies. Then it changed again. After a couple of years, I could ditch the huge unwieldy rucksack. But I still had to find room for snacks, for juice cartons, for plasters, for sting relief, for wipes, for tissues, for sachets of Calpol. For hair ties and glittery pencils (her) and mini Thunderbirds figures and light sabres from cereal packets (him). For crayons and drawing pads, if the journey was long. Apples and packets of raisins featured strongly.

My bag is shrinking again now. Apart from a few things that are still essential, I am reclaiming it. There is space around my wallet now, and my keys rattle. It doesn’t feel quite right. For a bag like this was once the preserve of a party girl with no dependants, and she’s long gone now. By the same token, I know my mind will never be entirely free of the minutiae of other people, never left clean and fresh and able to focus only on its own needs and interests again. And I think I quite like it this way. And after all, there will come a day when I will probably cart around a carpet bag worthy of Mary Poppins, from which I will pull boiled sweets and knitting needles and photos, and my mind will be allowed to roam and my stories will ramble and my memories will be like jewels brought out to sparkle in the light.

29 comments:

Milla said...

you're so right about the contents of a bag. spare knickers I had to carry for ages (not for me, not yet, I hasten to add!) and how did we ever live for 30+ years without having intimate knowledge of *loody light sabres!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Goodness, Suffolkmum - I marvel at how people manage with two children, I only have one and I still manage to forget most things. I have a really stupid arrangement whereby I run two bags - one for ordinary days when I'm not doing extensive amounts of shopping or need to carry a packed lunch or doggy-poo bags, and another for when I am. And you can bet your bottom dollar my keys and my purse will be in the other one. I think we're all going to be needing that Mary Poppins bag. Lovely blog, as ever, by the way.

LBD x

Faith said...

Now that I am without young children, I long to have my bag filled again with bits and pieces for the grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

I guess having more than one child means more to remember. I do badly enough trying to remember everything for Amy, and trying to remember to put all relevant dates on the calendar so that I don't forget.

My bag is relatively tidy now also. And I definitely don't miss the nappies!

Best wishes, Crystal xx

Cait O'Connor said...

Yes, before you know it that carpet bag will appear. I have one actually but definitely no knitting inside. My daughter has three young children and I know just what your life is like and how it is all ten times worse at this time of year. But believe me they do grow up too quickly and I wish that I could have my time again, I loved being a mother as I know you do, anyone can see that by your writings.

Elizabethd said...

As a grandmother of seven I can tell you that you will , with your bag, be much needed. So hold on to all the stories, all the memories of 'when mummy was a little girl'...

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I do not have a bag as such, well thats a lie I have several bags of varying widl and copious designs but no handbag. I have to have a bag to carry my identity card put no loge need anythign else. I remember the days when I alwasy had bailign twine in my bag the reason this has all changed? We now live so far from civillization that a journeyout means a car drive so my bag has been replaced by teh car which now looks like a trash can on wheels !!!!

Maggie Christie said...

I loved this blog (especially the final paragraph), but it all rang so true!

My husband asked me recently why I needed THREE handbags. They're a bit like the three bears: Daddy, Mummy and Baby Handbag. Then he asked me to carry his wallet and his phone. I rest my case!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Loved the idea of life through handbags! I do remember the whole "practically need a rucksack" stage of life. Now I am addicted to having loads of useful stuff with me. My sister tried to wean me off my big bag with a delightful little one (better for the shoulder) - just couldn't cope with it. Lovely blog as always.

Milla said...

Meant to say, too, that my father has always called me "Bags" because of my need for bags from such a tiny age. Have EVERYTHING in mine, apart from the thing I need. And also meant to say, gorgeous blog, as always. Always in too much of a rush to put all that I mean into a comment.

Stay at home dad said...

Parenthood beautifully summed up.

I don't understand this bag thing though. All you need is water, surely, and you can generally buy that...

Posie said...

Oh I could smell that handbag smell(mints,paper and leaky biro ink) when I read your blog, mine has gone through similar metomorphoses (excuse the spelling). Worst was when I sat in the dentist's chair about to get a check up and my two, then, toddlers were sat perched in the surgery on chairs, 'just reach into mummy's handbag and you will find some starburst sweets', the dentist nearly fell off her chair, don't ever do 'handbag sweets' at the dentist, especially not the chewy sticky ones... eek!

Pipany said...

Oh so with you on this SM although in my case it's coat pockets over-flowing with stuff. I seemed to have missed this yesterday, but so lovely that you have blogged again and so lovely the blog. Thank you for all the supportive comments on my Pipany blog - it really has helped xx

Kitty said...

Spot on - I think this is partly why I couldn't have another baby, all the STUFF you need to cart about with you everywhere.

Now the boy is almost 8, I still find my bag full of sugar-free lollies, pencils and paper, small toys... largely to subdue small children of friends during swimming lessons, school assemblies, shopping trips... I feel my bag will never be my own!

Fennie said...

The great thing about your blogs, SM is that underneath everything you come across as such a happy and contented person, despite all the daily trials and tribulations, that everyone is always cheered to read what you write. But I'm with Milla on this - life through handbags - it's a lovely original theme. And you could do the week or the month through handbags too. When I'm 90 what will I carry? A photograph perhaps, and my false teeth.

david mcmahon said...

This is a jewel of a post. Yes, the bag does tell the story of your life.

May it always be filled with objects of cheer and blessings.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Oh Yes! Thank goodness its not just me then....my handbag is referred to by the family as 'The Black Hole' well things sort of disappear into it and are never seen again...dog leads, maps, binoculars...lovely blog SM...so in tune ...as always

orneryswife said...

What a delightful post! Yes, just delightful. Thanks to David McMahon for putting you in his post of the day list!
TM

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

oh yes suffolkmum, this is exactly what it's like! On work days I feel so strange with little smart handbag and no rucksack or big holdall to be carted around. It means I often don't have what I need - tissue, plaster, paracetomol - but manage to sneak into it sugar lumps and biscuits from work 'dos' for the children.....

Blossomcottage said...

I remember going into Marks and Spencers when the children were small and I was trying hard to look after them and 6 dogs and 6 horses. The bemused shop girl watched as I emptied my copius bag and before I found my credit card her counter was litter with, spare pants, bottled drink, one very tired sandwich, sweets, two dog biscuits and finally a pair of spurs!!
Happily now I have much less to remove before I find the card.

Blossom

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Thing is, when you have more than two children, your brain just starts to quietly implode and so there isn't any more room in it than there is in yours. does that make sense?

I bought a new bag at the weekend. Not one that equalled the GDP of a small eastern country - i'm waiting for my 40th - but one that can fit the epipen in. That's cheery isn't it??!! I can't wait to sit on park benches and be slightly mad and bemuse young children.

Suffolkmum said...

SAHD - hmm, must be a girl thing. And here's me with nary a desinger bag to my name!

David - thank you! I appreciate you reading this.

Ornery's Wife - thank you! Nice of you to stop by and comment.

Suffolkmum said...

Pig - I'm still in awe of those of you with more than 2 - but I do know what you mean. I can't wait to be the mad old woman talking nonsense either (or am I there already?)

Tattieweasle said...

Still have need to take more than one bag around - have you ever weighed your bag? Mine weighs about 2Kg - my chiropracter had a fit!!! All of it very necessary ... and as for being a depositry I'm still on the sleepless nights .....

Jan said...

There are 2 brilliant "bag" poems which you may well know?
One is Ruth Fainlight's " Handbag" and the other is "What every woman should carry" by Maura Dooley. by

@themill said...

One of the compensations of children growing up is that once more I can walk out of the house with only a credit card and cash in my jeans pocket. Rarely take a handbag anywhere, but like UPL, treat the car as such, i.e. Just throw everything into the bottom of it and hope for the best!

Chris Stovell said...

Hmm, I am still 'tissue' and 'painkillers' woman when it comes to useful stuff in my bag. I also seem to be the one who gets to carry other peoples (ie Tom's) junk in her bag as 'Oh, I haven't got room in my pocket can I stick them in your bag?' Grr!

Elsie Button said...

Lovely! and so true! i know what you mean about having to cart around huge amounts of stuff in a rucksack! I now have a little lovely bag too, and sometimes i go off shopping and leave betty with her granny, carrying my light uncluttered bag and it feels pretty good!

Rob Clack said...

I have given you an award. Check it out on my blog.