Friday 1 June 2007

School Stories Save The Day (and the half-term)

What a dismal, dreary, deluge of a half term it’s been. Cubs camp was a wash-out; the picnic planned for Tuesday was too. My daughter lost her voice (I take my blessings where I find them, ashamed though I am to admit it), and I finally succumbed to the full-blown flu bug that I‘d been fighting off for a week. The silver lining in this case was that R was able to take a day off, instead of breezily waving me goodbye, passport in hand, so I did what I haven’t done in years – allowed myself to be ill and went to bed for the day. I wanted to read, but couldn’t face anything that I picked up; I had the concentration span of a gnat and even a paperback felt too heavy. Magazines didn’t work, either; I wanted to be totally taken out of myself, and their focus on celebrities/current affairs/home make-overs smacked too much of the real world. So I lay there feeling sorry for myself, and then suddenly remembered the boxes of books that I’d brought back with me when my parents moved and I had to clear out the cupboards which held the detritus – and treasures - of my childhood. I dug out a pile of puffin paperbacks, whole series of school stories with dazzling, heroic titles full of exclamation marks: “Henrietta Saves The Day!”, “The Best Term Ever!”, “The New Tuck-Shop!” I was lost to a world of lacrosse sticks, butch games mistresses and hopelessly inefficient French Mam’zelles, just as I had been as a 10 year old. The lightest of reads, I was able to get through several in one afternoon, and I marvelled – I really did – at what writers were allowed to get away with over fifty years ago. The plots are predictable and paper thin - though I remember them, of course, as utterly compelling and gripping – and usually centre, in a slightly sadistic way, on some schoolgirl getting above herself, coming an inevitable cropper, and being saved/taught a lesson/reprimanded by the heroine, whose British character and schoolgirl pluck ensure her inevitable triumph. Anyone showing a modicum of originality or talent is slapped down; the girl with a beautiful voice who breaks bounds to enter a singing contest gets pneumonia and loses the beautiful voice – for ever, natch. The girl who’s too good at games and wants to go professional (how very un-British) swims too far against the current and gets her legs dashed on rocks (I know, quite savage, but as a girl I lapped up all this divine retribution). The worst scorn is, of course, reserved for the foreigners; there is often a wild Spanish girl, usually half-gipsy, who’s parents run a circus, but she can never settle down to the rigours of school life and generally runs back to the circus. The French are continually sending their daughters to English boarding schools, it appears, in the vain hope that they may develop the prized English Sense of Honour, but of course they can’t – they’re too French. A direct quote: “But Suzanne was French. She would never have the same sense of responsibility that the British girls had”. They’re universally hopeless at games, too, standing shivering on the side of the pool until a hearty British girl shoves them in – teaching them, of course, to lose their idle foreign ways. The working classes are magnificently ignored, on the whole; wonderfully sweet, with their funny accents and willingness to labour for the school, so long as they know their place. If any of them dare to send their daughters to the school, having got rich quick in some shady scheme, they are destined to failure; the Headmistress will avoid them on speech day or enquire who the funny little man is; the girls usually leave after a term, because of course they can’t learn ways of the British upper class, either.

The funny thing is, is that I remember seeing all of this as a child – my sister and I used to giggle at the treatment of foreigners, and at the ludicrous and never-changing speeches of the Headmistresses – but I devoured them all the same. In fact I used to beg my parents to send me to boarding school. Perhaps I felt I needed to learn that sense of honour and fit in, too. And what’s even stranger is that I devoured them all over again the other day, too. Maybe it was just the sense of nostalgia that they evoked, the memories of reading them with a torch under the bedclothes, the recognition of their place in my childhood. I had a great afternoon, though, and was immensely cheered up. I’ve got all my old pony stories too, though they will have to wait for another day. Freud would have had a field day with those.

30 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Oh me too! I have kept, I dont know quite why, my Angela Brazil stories, and the Abbey girls, do you have those? Wasnt life uncomplicated then. Good won and bad lost!!

Blossomcottage said...

Snap I go back to the old childrens books when I feel under the weather, I have quite a lot of my own and have ben collecting pony stories for years. I have just started to read Born to Race which was one of my all time favourites when I was small, I have copied the drawings in it more times than I can remember. Great Blog and hope you feel better.

Blossom

Bluestocking Mum said...

That is a lovely blog. And brought back some lovely memories. I loved anything by Enid Blyton and was a big Famous Five fan. But I loved Heidi, The Diddakoi and Alice in Wonderland the best. And I had a map book which I used to constantly pore over and plan where I would travel to in the world!

I remember as a girl waking up before my nan and squirreling my books into my bed to read quietly. I would pick maybe 10 off the book shelf!-I don't know how I thought I would read them all.

Keep being kind to yourself and hope you feel much better soon.

warmest wishes
xx

toady said...

I really enjoyed that. It's good to indulge yourself now and then. It's strange about all the political incorrectness isn't it? But even though books like that aren't written any more racial intolerance and bigotry seems to be worse now.
Toady

Sally Townsend said...

Spiffing way to recover !

countrymousie said...

You have inspired me to find all my old Flicka books etc. Horsie books how I loved and ate them up as it were. I kept them and now I can give them to the Heiress.
Gosh I know what you mean about politically correct - gollywogs and all that - ooops!

Sorry you got the flu proper and hopefully the sun that seems to be shining in Suffolk today will go some way to speeding your recovery.

Elsie Button said...

Brilliant! - i do that sometimes when i am feeling miserable, it makes you feel cosy and safe somehow. it reminded me of the janet and john books that Terry Wogan satirises on his radio show - deriving humour through euphemism and innuendo, from what were perfectly innocent stories. it is hilarious though! how times have changed.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I recall that the swimmer whose legs were dashed against the rocks was slightly overweight? Not in the Alma Pudden sense (she was let off in the end because it was a hormonal disorder, do you remember that one?!), but in the not-very-feminine bulky sense. She was not slight enough I seem to remember.

What a fantastic post! I loved those books, wasn't the opera singer manque called Moira or something? And the gypsy girl was Carlotta, she could stand up on a horse...
Thank-you for re-reading them and sharing, now I don't have to dig them out again!
Pigx

lixtroll said...

Oh I love your description of the old books! So true. I always find myself going back to the Moomins over & over again and I always love it just as much as the first time I read them, perhaps even more now!

Faith said...

Love it, love it! Never wanted to go to boarding school - one week at our convent when my mother was in hospital was enough for me - but loved the stories! Write about the horsey ones - did you like Jill? Jill enjoys her ponies, Jill and the perfect pony .... (Plum!)... i loved them all. What the naughtiest girl in school got up to is nothing compared to what she would do nowadays!

annakarenin said...

Annoyingly because she had children first my big sis nabbed all ours and as she now has started having grandchildren there is dim chance of getting any back. Did keep my Hiedi books though and my hubs has some of the Swallows and Amazon series but his mother was the ruthless sort and they moved alot so very few of the really old books here.

Chris Stovell said...

Oh that's priceless! Hope you feel better soon. I have to say Brambly Hedge does it for me - the illustrations conjure up such a cosy world!

Exmoorjane said...

Oh wow, that has taken me back in an instant to my childhood. I had forgotten how cruel they could be....
Yes, me too - desperate to go to boarding school (preferably Malory Towers). Can't wait for the pony ones too - Jill yes, yes, yes! I wanted a pony AND to go to boarding school. In fact, couldn't understand why we couldn't have a pony and keep it on the small back lawn!

bodran... said...

i've just read never tel a secret by joyce stranger i last read it when i was 12yrs i thourghly enjoyed it and what easy reading whenyour attention spans nil..get wellxx

muddyboots said...

l still have my old paperbacks somewhere, Jill's gymkhana, the children of green knowle, when marnie was there. ah such memories. hope your feeling better!

@themill said...

Loved this SM. Sorry you're not feeling well, but every cloud and all that. Concentration span of a gnat - now you know how I feel all the time! Loved all those books and boarding school too. But my very favourite was Heidi - my head was in the Alps for years. Also Noel Streatfield's 'Ballet Shoes'

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

you have this so exactly - the heartiness and the unthinking superiority and the cosy rightness of it all. I loved it too but always liked the sense that I came home at the end of the day. have been looking for your blogs. sorry you have been feeling rough. hope all ok now.

Pondside said...

I hope the flu bug leaves you soon! In the meantime, what fun you've had revisiting childhood favorites. I was in love with the Fifth Formers of St Clair and just knew that I would be a star student if my parents would just send me to boarding school.

Cait O'Connor said...

I also lapped up boarding school stories, longed to be at such an institution and imagined a fantasy life where I was. As a child I didn't cotton on to their racist and class-ridden aspects. Enid Blyton was the same. But it's a joy to read children's books sometimes isn't it? Especially when you are poorly. As I write this I think of Little Women, another one I loved.

Regarding the kingfisher I found this info, there wasn't a lot.

To see a kingfisher in your dream, symbolizes calmness and dignity.

Also go to this page for its linkage with the (rather lovely) word 'halcyon'
Hope you feel better soon,
Caitx
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/168000.html

168000.html

Cait O'Connor said...

PS


The Welsh for kingfisher is

'Glas y dorlon'

Blue of the river.

(That will impress my Welsh speaking friends!)

Caitx

Omega Mum said...

What a nice post. Somebody mentioned the 'Green Knowe' books -I've just started reading my son the first one, and he's loving it. Writing is a real treat. Very poetic.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

I have very fond memories of Mallory Towers and St Clare's, but you're absolutely right - however did they get away all that dreadful prejudice? Hope they cheered you up and helped you feel better. And did you read the Ruby Ferguson pony books, too? I can remember all their names even now - must have read them so many times.

Stay at home dad said...

I'm sure I'd feel a lot better tucked up with a French Mam'zelle. Hope you are.

Sahd.

Milla said...

Glorious SM! Loved this. And yes, pig in the kitchen, there def was a wild Carlotta. Never did Jill and the ponies (the heartbreaking Little Wooden Horse was as near as I got to horses) but lapped up the school stuff. Hope you're better now, you've been ill too much recently!

Kitty said...

Hope you're feeling better. I loved the Enid Blytons, Carlotta and Claudine, am re-reading Famous Fives with H, but now in our PC days I can't get over how there were always dirty mistrustful gypsies, crooks who always spoke in the vernacular, kindly apple cheeked farmer's wives (but their husbands were usually bony and thin-lipped, with a whiff of the wife-beater about them) and helpful fisher-boys called Alf who were so poor they couldn't afford to buy their own ices. Guilty pleasures! Bliss.

JacquiMcR said...

What memories you have stirred up.
I remember getting the full set of enid blyton's mallory towers for christmas. I desperately wished it was a real school and would have done anything to get there.

When I was younger I wanted to run away with the circus just like enid blyton's Mr Gallianos Circus. I spent ages thinking about what act I could do!

For my 35th birthday, my sister bought me a boxed hardback set of "The faraway tree" which I have since read to my own kids and despite the age of technology they loved every minute of the simple stories.

Imagination is a truly wonderful thing.

Hope you are feeling much better - Jacqui x

Grouse said...

Oh! AK- we have a sister who has nabbed all the Enid Blytons AND the toys!
But my favourites are the Monica Edwards and I've kept all of those. Frightening how much of my life reflects the Punchbowl series- I wonder how much they seep into the subconcious? I found some on ebay and bought them for the daughter (aged 24) for Xmas, to ad to her collection.

Woozle1967 said...

And I hope you were drinking home made lemonade too! I've got loads of my childhood books too and can't bear to part withn them. Hope you feel better soon - this bug has been a nightmare. Take care of yourself.xx

Exmoorjane said...

No, sadly not a state school (wish it were - those fees? Eek, the reason we're downsizing! Thank God we've only got the one).... I do believe a certain amount of competition is a fine thing - in all arenas. Not overbearingly so, but just enough to make children feel proud when they do achieve. What I like about J's school is that they seem to find something that every child can be good at....whether it be sport, or music, or chess, or maths or whatever. But, as I say, by heck you pay for that privilege. Janexxxx
PS - another blog soon please!

Cait O'Connor said...

Just dropped in to say thank you for your kind, supportive posts. Are you feeling better? I am looking forward to your next piece of writing.
Caitx