Monday 25 June 2007

A Week In The Life

It’s been a week or so since I last blogged; nice to take a break, sometimes, but strangely hard to get back into the habit once you pause for breath. I don’t want blogging to become another chore; the guilt at not catching up with all those I love to read becoming bigger each day. I think weekly blogging may be the way forward, but then again who knows; some days the words flow and the desire to communicate is there, other days it isn’t. Anyway, a snapshot of my week lies below.

Thursday 21
A friend came to lunch today, and brought with her a large pack of chocolate cookies for the children, the speciality kind which negates all the benefits of their healthy home-made status by having extra-large chocolate chips – slabs really. I told the children about them when I picked them up from school and pre-school respectively. They arrived home hungry and expectant, and headed for the cupboard. No biscuits. No biscuits anywhere, in fact. The children soon got cross and bored with the game of hunt the biscuit, and I could hear my voice becoming strained and manic with forced jollity as I brightly declared, for the thousandth time, that they must be somewhere. They were, of course. In the bin. I looked there in the end, reluctant to believe I could have put them there, but relieved no the less that they’d turned up and they were still unopened – just a little wipe was all that was required to remove the salad dressing and cat food that stuck to the surface of the packet. They had a biscuit each, then later, after tea, asked if they could have another. I agreed, and off we went again, on what was fast becoming a family ritual of hunt the biscuit. It didn’t take me as long this time – there they were in the bin again. I recognise that look of exasperated irritation mixed with amusement on my children’s faces; I used to give the same look to my mother when I was a teenager. My children aren’t teenagers, though; they’re eight and three.

Later, I found the toothpaste I knew I’d bought …. in the fridge. I called a friend to wish her happy birthday, and chatted away merrily, only remembering when I’d put the phone down that I hadn’t mentioned her birthday. I have memories of my former self, striding be-suited across the City, from power meeting to business lunch. Surely I was mega-organised, always on top of things? Memory can be a false friend. When I probe those memories a little deeper, I suppose I can remember rather a lot of hanging around by the water cooler, too, and holding forth in the office kitchen, making yet another cup of tea to break up the day, and endlessly forgetting where I was supposed to be next. I wasn’t this bad though. I suppose it must be my age. Or the fact that I have, with grim inevitability, turned into my mother.

I did remember, though, that it was the longest day (too often I am like Daisy from The Great Gatsby, only in forgetfulness, sadly, with none of the breathless charm: “Do you always wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it.”) and proudly uncorked my elderflower champagne. I am having a ‘dry’ fortnight before going on holiday next week, in a vain attempt to become fit and healthy and toned before unleashing myself on the beaches on France. The children, ungrateful little wretches that they are, spat it out, but R and I sat in the garden and watched the clouds – heavy and rain-filled though they were.

Saturday 23rd
I didn’t forget, either, to make a picnic for the school midsummer fun day, which had been planned with meticulous care and attention; the only thing not factored in was the British weather. A quick recce in the morning confirmed that the school field was a mudbath, and the bouncy castle people were cutting up rough. Whack the Rat would have been more like whack the puddle, and the tug of war would no doubt have descended into mud wrestling. My friend and I had both made huge picnics, so we decided to have a big, messy indoor picnic at our house instead. Her four and my two were mollified by the thought of eating on the sitting room floor and not being chastised about crumbs, and the grown ups decamped to the kitchen and ate ourselves stupid, and talked too much, and watched the afternoon slip into evening. Much better than standing on a muddy field.

Sunday 24th
I spent the greater part of the day entranced by an old gardening book, dating from the 1930’s, that I’d picked up once in a second hand shop and promptly forgotten all about. It was amazingly informative, with some gorgeous illustrations. It was written in that brisk, military style so redolent of that era, and which seemed to bracket gardening as a patriotic duty, along with keeping a tidy house and being punctual. There were some outrageous comments – apparently the reason that the English (not the British, of course) are so obsessed with gardening is because we have a greater sense of aesthetic pleasure than other nations, who tend to prefer gaudy, bright colours, the poor fools. Never trust a foreigner who doesn’t appreciate a garden, is the stern message, any more than you should trust a man who doesn’t appreciate dogs. Don’t get me wrong –the bigotry and arrogant prejudice makes me gasp. But I sometimes feel the tiniest bit nostalgic for the confident certainty of past times. I know, I know, that need is what dictators prey on. But just occasionally, I’d like to be sure of myself.

Monday 25th
So here we are, the end of June. Wimbledon starts today. I’m going on holiday in a week. I’m freezing. I want the aga back on. In fact, I want the heating on. The garden is ravaged by too much rain and high winds; the plants are bowed and bruised, petals and leaves everywhere. My strawberry crop was a bumper one; now they are rotting before they’re ready to pick. The herb garden looks like a jungle. I’m on lifeguard duty for after-school swimming at the school pool today; no doubt once again the children will leap in, only for a flash of lightening and an ominous rumble to signal the end of the fun. Everything feels dishevelled and streaming. I’m British. I should be used to it. But I’m not.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I find I have so many blogs to catch up on I need to read every day otherwise I'll lose touch with everything.

It is a consolation to me that your plants seem to have taken a battering also. Mine look like they've been stamped on. So disappointing after all the hard work!

Kitty said...

I'm sure childbirth does something to the brain - I too have lost the ability to multi-task. I was once a great PA - really on the ball, super-organised and efficient. Where did that girl go?

I rang my Dad on father's day, forgot to let H sing Happy Birthday (which is the highlight of Grandpa's day) and almost forgot to say Happy Birthday/Father's Day all in one as I was so focussed on marhsalling the troops for the birthday party in the evening.

Always forgetting to say what I mean and on blog comments too!

Our garden is rain and wind battered too, sugar snap peas have untethered themselves and are now all mud-spattered. Rain is forcing under the doors. Sigh.

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

our fete on saturday was the same but we manged to have some fun in between rain storms. I fear I was an alpha female and am becoming an alpha mummy in its place but with none of the back up and support I had before (so no secretary, no head of finance, no helpful chap from legal...) and without all this I too am to be found getting things out of the bin and swearing blindly that I did buy the toothpaste (and sometimes telling porkies, like "oh tesco's didn't have any orange juice, strange isn't it?"). I blame the menopause....

Bluestocking Mum said...

That was great SM.

I wonder if it has something to do with not working any more-when I was working full time, I was SO organised and I would be the queen of multi tasking! Every night I would have packed lunches and evening the next days evening dinner prepared so that the following morning all I had to do was put in the slow cooker!

These days I don't know what we are eating until I prepare it just before we eat.
Maybe that has something to do with these blogs? You are right on that one. Once a week eh?

warm wishes
xx

countrymousie said...

I do like the form of a diary blog - it looks great.
I havent put my aga out and wont be until it hits 90 outside.
I have never given birth so no excuse for my lapses in memory.
Ducks swimming in a hollow in the lawn - when will this rain end.
At least I wont have to water the containers for a while. Serious withdrawel symptoms with no mowing. I blame Tattie - since she got her mower it has done nothing but rain!!! love mousie

countrymousie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bradan said...

With you on memory lapses. What especially irks me is that I am forgetting how to spell words and I used to be such an excellent speller! Now have frequently to resort to using a dictionary, when I can find one!

Inthemud said...

Send some strawberries this way! I love them! My neighbour gave me huge bowl full last week.

I know what you mean about blogging, sometimes I just can't think what to write and also think no one will be interesdted so why write anyway.

But I love your blogs so do keep writing even if less often.
Fancy putting toothpaste in fridge!! I do silly things like that too when stressed, so you need to relax!!

Chris Stovell said...

Yes it's freezing here too and I HAVE put the heating on. It's blowing a gale and the few plants that have dared to grow are getting battered. Do hope it warms up for your hols.

Unknown said...

I've never been particularly organised, but I used to have a fairly good memory. However, now I frequently forget things unless they are written down (assuming I can find the bit of paper they're written on).

I don't think it's an age thing though - my brother in law is only 21 and he constantly forgets things!

I think the once a week blog is a good idea too. I would love to catch up with everyone every single day but fear I may become obsessed at the cost of all else!!

So, basically, I blog when I can and try not to feel too guilty when I can't!

Pipany said...

Know what you mean about the keeping up. I seem to blog on and off now when the mood takes as you put in your blog, Sm. I do log in everyday though to see what's going on - nosey or what! This rain is beyond a joke - lost all the soft fruit, flowers bashed and bruised and I'm ready to murder someone if it doesn't end!!! xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Hmm I used to put things in odd places when I was pregnant.....

DevonLife said...

you don't think you are? you know? pregnant?

Suffolkmum said...

A resounding no to the above suggestions!

muddyboots said...

haven't turned our AGA off yet, your brain WILL return to normal, never fear!! W

Faith said...

Your biscuits in the bin reminded me of the day last week that I couldnt find the dustpan and brush anywhere.... eventually found them in the bin!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Did laugh out loud at biscuits in the bin! I have done the whole taking things out and surreptitiously wiping them down thing. My memory is rubbish yet used to be great. I blame alcohol, being too busy, having no more room in my ageing brain so that one new thing pushes out another, often a significant one.
like your diary format.

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Well i still am working full time so who ever came up with that is out of the game....car keys in the fridge..that's me...library books in the airing cupboard and the inevitable forty times a day shriek...'Where's me purse?'

Woozle1967 said...

Hi SM! Have been away myself, trying to do all the things I'm meant to be doing instead of reading blogs/commenting. I'm feeling mightily inadequate as there are lots on this site that seem to manage home and family AND blogging.

I relit the Rayburn on Saturday and we've had a fire tonight too (no central heating though - I draw the line at that in June!), and the eiderdown has found its way back on the bed.

And as for the strawberries - don't get me going! What a waste this year. Aaargh.x

CAMILLA said...

Lovely blog SM, and thank you so much for your kind comments, and concern. I put the sugar bowl in the fridge once, hunted for it for ages! How lovely for you to be going to France, I adore it there, what part of France are you going to? My garden is sadly neglected of late, Roses have taken a bashing with all the heavy rain we have had, with strong winds too. They do say we will be having a scorcher July, only time will tell, although I do not like it to hot.
Camilla.xx

Pondside said...

I think that the memory thing must have something to do with the weather - all that rain must muddy up the brain as well as the garden! Your celebration in the kitchen sounds lovely - nothing like an indoor picnic.....and I'd have been glad to skip the games even on the nicest day!

Posie said...

Oh you made me laugh I keep putting things in the wrong place too, you are definately needing a holiday! Elderflower champagne sounds delicious, worth not having the alcohol when you get drinks like that, here its just water or squash!x

Exmoorjane said...

Yup, I'm in a bit of a blogging wilderness right now but feel I have to keep going or I'll stop altogether. Maybe it's seasonal! Very glad too that you do things like put brand new packets of biscuits in the bin.....sounds familiar. I agree with the childbirth bit as Kitty says - all gone, gone, gone - organisation, memory, balance (??!), multi-tasking.
So you turn your Aga off in the summer? We don't as it's our only means of cooking.....and, cleverly, the kitchen faces north so it never gets too hot. Ah, heck, only two more days of the Aga to go.....eeek.

Omega Mum said...

The government health fairies came round while you were out and weeded out the choc chip cookies. God knows what the punishment will be now you've found them again. Carrot sticks for life, I'd imagine.

annakarenin said...

My rasberries are coming thick and fast and I keep loosing lots because of the rain. Didn't get round to putting straw dowm for the strawberries so most have been eaten but I need to get some gooseberries picked and it is impossible. I b***** hate this weather. It is bad enough in the winter. I went 30 odd years without it ever raining on my birthday and apart from last year it has rained nearly every year recently.

Talking of which my 8 year old gets his birthday in NOv like both yours and Janes Jameses.

Re previous blog I had a really shy boy in my reception class who had one close friend. I had to fight for them to be put in the same class the following year because others thought it would be good for his confidence building to seperate them??????????

In Carmarthenshire some schools take children full time at 3. No 2 who not shy but definately more immature than no 1 was kept home in the afternoons until he was nearly 5. Half the time he still slept in the afternoons.

They need to develop in their own way and if they are happy then leave them alone I say.

Milla said...

our strawberries are in a hanging basket a) because garden a building site but b) keeps up airy and unmushy. Bit naff I know but delicious. Biscuits in the bin? Clearly batty.

Elsie Button said...

toothpaste in the fridge! it sort of makes sense though... doesn't it?

i have the same memory problem and can't believe now that i ever managed to hold down a job where organisation and memory were key! when betty was a few weeks old i kept referring to her by her middle name and not even realising.

this weather is rubbish, and your poor strawberries, what a shame, but you are off to sunny France yay!

Jan said...

I turned into my mother when my children were very young and I gradually realised stuff I was saying to them were HER words....
and then one day I noticed my fingers were hers and now my face..

Cait O'Connor said...

My daughter has the memory problem, I of course have it/a friend says it is because we are all bombarded with too much information and I think she is right. Our brains can only cope with so much.
A weekly blog occurred to me too. a daily one is often difficult to manage. And your diary format is good, too. And how people manage to read/comment so much I don't know. I don't want it to become a chore either, just a pleasure, as all writing should be.
My garden is also wild and windswept. Today it is very wet, too wet to weed.
Sun is out now though.
What part of France are you going to? I love France.
Have a lovely time, take your notebook.... or do you have a laptop?
Caitx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Lovely to hear from you, Suffolkmum! Forgetting where you put things - happens to me the whole time! Mind you, if a packet of biscuits found their way into the bin, our dog would fish them out before you could say Jack Robinson.

And talking of that brisk, British way of writing, only today I came across a hilarious book, which I think you'd love, written by a hysterically politically incorrect Victorian travel writer, who comes out with such gems as, "No people in Europe are as clumsy and awkward with their hands as the Portuguese..." and "Russians are generally not to be trusted..." How times have changed - but I know exactly what you mean about that singularly British certainty.

And, yes, our Aga is still alight, too - even though it's July at the weekend.

Chris Stovell said...

Popped back to thank you for your support.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

You shouldn't feel guilty about not reading blogs, well don't feel guilty about not reading mine anyway! I like your writing and will pop by regardless...;-) hope you are feeling warmer and a bit more 'up'
Pigx

@themill said...

You are such a wonderful writer. Rather glad you're only blogging once a week though otherwise I wouldn't be able to catch up. Just got back from Alsace and it was warm, but showery. I think I left my grey matter at the bottom of a nappy bucket and am constantly calling my children by the wrong name!
Have a great holiday.