Monday 2 July 2007

Tears For An Unborn Child

I took K along to our local toddler group one day last week. I’ve got lazy with regard to chatting to other parents I barely know, which I suppose it’s inevitable; its hard to enthuse about baby ad toddler milestones when you’ve done it once, and, given that my first child is four and a half years older than his sister, I had an established group of ‘Mum’ friends by the time she came along. There is usually the same old crowd there, anyway; people I’ve known for years now, and with whom I can share a coffee and a biscuit without much need for small talk. Last week, however, my daughter made a new friend. Usually shy, her eyes lit up when she spotted a little girl there, one we’d never seen before. There seemed to be an instant chemical reaction between them, and they were holding hands after two minutes, embracing after three, and, inevitably, squabbling over who got the pink beaker after four. I guess that’s the way friendships are often formed – on the basis of gut reaction, a sense of mutual recognition. I had never seen the girl’s mother, either, and started some desultory chat with her. Within five minutes, I too, had that pleased, excited feeling that I’d found a new friend; although, guarded as we adults are, our thoughts were no doubt laced with ‘maybe’s’ and ‘possibly’s.’ It’s thrilling to connect with someone instantly, and as anyone who’s lived in a deeply rural area will know, new friendships can be a long time coming. They had moved in to a neighbouring village a couple of weeks ago, and were clearly expecting another baby soon – she was visibly and heavily pregnant. She was a little reticent, though, when I asked all the usual questions, and eventually told me that the baby boy she was carrying was very poorly; he has only a 50% chance of surviving the birth, and that, even if he does, his condition is not compatible with life beyond the first year. I won’t go into details, it doesn’t seem appropriate; almost an invasion of her privacy, somehow, but it’s a reasonably well-known condition. It was a strangely shocking thing to hear, amongst all the rumpus of small children and toys, and I was reminded again of how removed we are, in these days of choices and medical interventions, from the raw and savage lottery of childbirth. My eyes filled with easy tears and I fiercely willed myself to stop, to emulate her quiet composure. She wanted everyone to know – her daughter is due to start at the local preschool next week, people will be interested to see the baby, to know where he is if he doesn’t come home. Much better to be open and matter of fact, but horribly hard for this to be your introduction to a community. Horribly hard to be in this position at all. Such a contrast, between her swollen, fertile belly and the talk of imminent death, between the kicking visible beneath her maternity top and the hurt behind her eyes. We all carry an entire life cycle within us when we’re pregnant, but we only celebrate the beginning; few of us expect to even be present at the end. I asked his name, and it felt good to say it out loud, to roll the traditional, solid English name around my mouth. I hope I get to say his name to him, to hold him, to welcome him.

I know the deaths of babies and infants used to be part and parcel of everyday life, and not so long ago, either. My grandmother was one of fourteen, of whom only four survived. I’ve had experience of losing babies in early pregnancy; I wouldn’t seek to minimise the trauma for anyone else, and each loss is a little scar on your heart, but I know that, in my case, what I mourned was in no small part the anticipation of a life. To have to say welcome and goodbye in a small space of time seems unnatural and cruel. I think she’ll need a friend, I thought, as I walked home across our ordinary village, suddenly reminiscent of a Manhattan street with steam rising after another ferocious downpour. I hope I’m up to the job.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be up to the job, your mother instincts will just take over. This is an awful start for someone to enter a new community and she may make friends quicker than usual. Lovely writing, very touching blog.
Crystalxx

Pipany said...

Oh Suffolkm, this resonated with me - I wrote a very small bit about a similar thing at the end of my blog today. Such little words for such a huge and momentus event. You will be the very best of friends, I am sure - you will listen and be there, and that's all you can do xx

Sally Townsend said...

You write so well, she is very lucky to have met you, its difficult to make new friends in rural areas at the best of times. It made me stop and count my blessings, sorry I can't push some sun down the computer for you. x

Maggie Christie said...

Very touching blog. Fate must have led her to you for a reason. It left me counting my blessings too. xx M.

Cait O'Connor said...

It is almost as if you were meant to meet this woman, to be there for her. You are her 'angel'
Lovely blog as ever.
Hope I am not too late to wish you a wonderful time in France (my ink should be green!).
Cait

countrymousie said...

You will be perfect for this new found friend. Just what was ordered. Perhaps you have been sent as her guardian Angel - you never know. Sounds highly likely to me. Sometimes a new friend can be as much a comfort as an "old" one.
Lovely that your little girl has found a new friend also.
Have a great rest and holiday - love mousie xx

annakarenin said...

That was beautifully written I had read your comment on Pipany's so knew the subject and it does bring a lump, oh to think of the sheer waste. At least she has found a friend at a time when she could have found herself isolated and lonely, she will surely need one as thoughful and kind as you.

Kitty said...

As I've just written on Pipany's blog, I have a friend who lost a little boy at 27 weeks, she just couldn't hold on to the pregnancy. He was born alive but died after four hours, seemingly perfect and healthy, just too little.
It will be a difficult but precious friendship - good luck.
Have a great holiday, hope the sun shines!

Unknown said...

There's so much heartbreak and sadness in the world.

I feel so sorry for this lady and her awful situation, but truly believe you will become very good friends. I also agree with the previous comments - it does seem like fate for the two of you to meet. Good luck to you both.

Iota said...

You WILL be up to the job of good friend, simply by the fact that you recognise she will need one. Many people would feel embarrassed and hide away, or would assume she wanted to be left alone. If it crosses your mind to worry whether you are up to the job, then you definitely are.

Chris Stovell said...

You already are. And now it's time for you and yours whilst you recharge your batteries and have some time together with your family on holiday.

Pondside said...

There aren't any words for the experience your new friend is going through - but there is actions and it sounds as though you will be there in a loving and quiet way to support her in this. I can't imagine how awful it must be to go through such a time in a new and strange community.
Thank goodness she foudn you.

Jan said...

I understand this, the sadness within this lady; it's long and complicated to explain.
BUT these are precious friendships; both the little girls AND the big ones!!.
And I know exactly what you mean re making a new friend " out of the blue"...it's a sudden recognition, isn't it, and that too is a special moment.

Elsie Button said...

oh this poor lady. what a thing to be going through. i can't imagine how you would deal with something like that. so so sad. but she is lucky to have met you - you will be more than up to the job.

a beautifully written post.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Wow so brave of her to move to a new place knowing what is ahead of her and clearly you and she are meant to be friends - guided by your daughters. What a difficult time lies ahead and I think we are all so glad that you want to be there for her.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

What a sad story - but a brave one, too. People seem to be so often afraid of talking about events like miscarriage and the loss of a baby, but it's much more hurtful to pretend that nothing's happened. I'm sure your friendship will be a comfort to her in a time when she will really need such a friend.

mountainear said...

I hope fate dictates that you are able to hold, welcome and acknowledge this little babe. It's a hard call for everyone - however brief his natural life is it will always be a huge, real and significant part of his family's lives. And then there is the curiousity of strangers...

My heart goes out to this family facing the most difficult of times ahead. I'm sure you'll find the strength to be 'friend in need'.

Stay at home dad said...

I can't think of anyone who would be more up to the job, SM.

Personally I never understand that "10 fingers and toes" thing. Surely the whole point is that you love your child whether or not they have the complete set of digits or a short or long lifespan. Which is not to say that it is in any way easy of course.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I would have thought you are just the friend she needs. Every life is worth celebrating however short, so many people will not think so, you obvioulsy do. I too hope that you get teh chance to hold him adn say his name for tehn you and she will ahve memories of him being a real being whereas many will not want to think of him as anything but imperfect.

As Sally so wisely said, I hope this makes all who read it count their blessings.

muddyboots said...

she is very lucky to have met you! l think we all tend to forget that things can go wrong & that we will all face death hopefully in the later mode. perhaps it's something we should be more open about, discuss & not feel embarrassed about mentioning the word the same with miscarriage, it does seem fairly common, several of my friends have had to cope at various stages of pregnancy, the loss is always there but life does go on. it's not easy, but at least your there.

Posie said...

How lovely that your daughter made a friend, a special bond. I would have been in tears too hearing such tragic news, the poor soul. I bet the support from the people the mum shares the news with will in a little way help her to cope with the challenge s that face her and her family.

Jane said...

How important it is that she (and her daughter especially) have friends at this time - friends who know what might happen in advance

I'm sure that you will be up to it - mainly because you realise how big a job it is.

J
x

@themill said...

Beautiful SM and I know you'll be wonderful. Your friend will be glad to have found you too, because sometimes, at times of extreme family sadness and bereavement, it is easier to talk to relative strangers than family. Good luck. Don't be afraid to talk about it with her. Often the hardest thing to deal with are the people who don't know what to say so say nothing at all. And hug your little ones tight.

Eden said...

Of course you will be. This was such a powerful and tender thing to read. The loss of baby life is such a wrong ended thing, makes you rage against the unfairness of things. To see someone facing it with composure is amazing.

Tattieweasle said...

Bravery is an everyday thing and it comes in all guises. This lovely Mum to be is brave and she will be braver with friends old and new to help...

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I missed your blog in a week of not being around much and think you are on holiday now. I hope you have a great restorative time. this was such a carefully written blog on something so difficult. I hope all is well. I can't imagine that, whatever happens, your new friend won't need company and support and that you won't be able to give the right kind in the right way.

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

well you've always been a good friend here - you'd be a great friend for anyone to have.
Sally x

DevonLife said...

She's lucky to have met you. Well done for managing to quell the tears. xx

Daniele said...

Beautiful blog, your writing is lovely - thank you. Such a sad story. I feel for her and I can only imagine how one must feel, knowing what's to come. You'll be up to the job, I'm sure!