Monday 20 August 2007

Of Four-Year-Olds and Ninety-Four-Year-Olds

My girl is now all of four years old. For less than fifty months she has existed outside my body; in less than fifty months she has certainly made her mark on this family. So small in some ways, in other ways so grown up, possessed of such assurance and self-belief. I marvel at her bravery in standing up to the world, in frequently taking on both me and her Father, hands on tiny hips, blue eyes glaring. She fell over, on the morning of her birthday, grazing her knees and bruising her dignity. A few hundred miles to the north, her great-grandmother, for whom she’s named, and with whom she shares a feisty nature and an intense appetite for life, has also fallen. She is 94, and my calculator tells me that she has lived for 1,128 months. She is shaken too, and her dignity is also bruised, and her fragile bones are hurting. They talk on the phone, commiserating over their stumbles, and my daughter’s tones become confiding and conspiratorial. Extreme youth, mired in the frustration of waiting for it all to begin, allied to extreme old age, terrified that it’s all about to end.

I don’t know who’s more exhausted by the birthday celebrations, me or my girl. I’m not quite sure when last year’s calm and sunny tea-party in the garden, with little three year olds in floaty dresses, got replaced by this year’s hiring of the village hall, complete with bouncy castle and seemingly half the local pre-school in attendance. But I am probably weird amongst mothers in that I actually enjoy my children’s parties. Don’t get me wrong, I do my fair share of whingeing during the build up. Whining at the cost, at my own inability to be the Mum who stops the ridiculous party-bags charade – what was wrong with a slice of cake and a balloon, for heaven’s sake? I am ashamed of my equally ridiculous charade of chopping up endless carrot and cucumber sticks for the tea – rarely eaten, of course, but presented as an apologetic sop to other Mums – yes, I know its all jammie dodgers and chocolate fingers, but we do really know about healthy eating, don’t we? I groan at the sea of plastic Disney –themed tat that features high on the wish-list of presents, and tell my children, with a grim face and stern voice, my grandmother’s tales of a doll made from a wooden spoon that had to double as a Christmas and birthday present. They don’t listen, of course. On the day, the noise gets to me, as does the spilled juice and the sticky faces and the invariable tears from some little soul. And yet, and yet … I get lost in the moment. The building excitement, the memories of party frocks (long, in my day, though not quite the Victorian pinafores that my son thinks I must have worn) and patent party shoes. Maybe it’s because I know there’s an end in sight to the tears and mayhem – my son has graduated to civilised trips to the cinema, or pizza and bowling.

I think what I love most about birthdays is the sense of anticipation. That feeling that I get from the house, when, dead on my feet with fatigue, I sit up late wrapping presents, and the air tingles with suppressed excitement. The ether seems to thicken, as it does on Christmas Eve, with the memories of other birthdays, other Christmases, and the family ghosts crowd silently around the stairwell, stiff with expectation. And what I always forget, and then always remember on the day, is that it’s not the presents, or the party, or the food that really counts. It’s the ritual; the fact that my daughter, even though she can hold no real memory of previous years, knows with absolute certainty that it is her brother who must wake her on her birthday morning and bring her into our bedroom. It’s the family tradition of that naughty slice of birthday cake in bed, and the knowledge that the presents will be piled high in the dining room – the poky, cold room that is ignored all year, and is, for some reason, chosen by both my children as their venue of choice for the present opening. These are the things that make a birthday, and that I treasure along with their shiny, excited faces, and it is these things, I trust, that she will take with her through her years – until she reaches the stage that I’m at, when she stops asking, with longing, when she’ll be another year older.

One last thing; a picture of a present that truly stood out, placed up at the top right corner of this blog, because I am too dumb to work out how to get it into the main text. A present that was hand-made, with care and attention, by a fellow blogger, and represents true value for money. A present that arrived with beautiful finishing touches - its own night bag, with identifying initial, and exquisitely wrapped. Made by talented Jane of Snapdragon: see http://snapdragongarden.co.uk If you see this, Jane, thanks again, she loved it.

35 comments:

Faith said...

Ah that's lovely SM! I too always enjoyed my little girls' birthday parties. 4 is a special age; really no longer a baby and yet not quite a schoolgirl either. I'm glad she had a lovely birthday. Am I weird - i always enjoyed doing party bags and was an expert at finding cheap but exciting fillers (I had to be as mostly broke!) Sorry your grandma had a fall, I hope she will be ok, a fall's not funny at that age.

Always lovely to have a blog from you. It feels like a real treat - even better than birthday cake in bed!

Cait O'Connor said...

Lovely as ever and to me very moving, brought a tear to my eye, a personal thing, birthdays always do.
Caitx

Blossomcottage said...

Yippee Sufflokmum, I am so glad you have Blogged again, I sent you a message saying don't give and I am so glad you have not. I think birthday parties are like Winnie the Pooh and the honey, he said “I like honey but I like the moment before tasting the honey best" ANITICIPATION! I think is what he was saying and I think its the same with children’s parties, the anticipation and the retrospect is the best bit, and I quite like the jelly and the eggie sandwiches as well!! Well done and welcome back.
Blossom

toady said...

Oh that was lovely.Reminds me of when my L was a littley and the three years running that I left the jellies in the fridge and we wre eating it for days after, and the novelty cakes. I made Thomas, care bears, windmill, crinoline lady, caterpillars, all very amateurish but appreciated on the day.
Toady

Chris Stovell said...

Good. So glad you are here again. Gosh, your blog summed up all the pleasures and pains of children's birthdays and I particularly enjoyed the family traditions - the girls still cherish the family rituals even though they've both grown up, the'll reinstate them at the drop of a hat given a chance! I do hope Granny's recovering from her fall - talking to your daughter must have cheered them both up.

Elizabethd said...

How lovely! I've been through birthdays with children and grandchildren, such fun.
What a beautiful doll, so unlike the plastic replicas, and I'm sure will be treasured.

countrymousie said...

Wonderful blog as usual SM. How thrilling to have a little girl like this to fuss over. Make the most of it while you can. Disney or no disney - what the heck. As my birthday is xmas day, I have never experienced the thrill of presents other than when everyone else has them - hadnt really thought about it much before. Funny really as I know nothing else. love mousie

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

brings lovely memories to me of birthdays we have had. I'm so glad you get to enjoy it to the full, as they are little for such a short time we must do that. And yes, old and young 'ladies': don't they always have a special bond?

Posie said...

Oh what a [poignant blog, you capture the moment so beautifully. Read your previous blog, and marvelled at all of the comments. You are such a talented writer. Suffolkmum! I too love the childrens' parties and have always made a big fuss and celebration of such occaisions and now it is lovely to see as my children have almost taken over and mark events with handmade cards and flowers from the garden and so on. These rituals are part of the essence of life. Posie x

Pondside said...

Hello SM - what a lovely blog! I don't think there's anything as special as a child's birthday, and it's good to hear that others are as much into tradition as we are! My two always had to have their gifts piled on the coffee table in the living room, to be opened before going to school.
Aren't girl birthday parties fun?! I couldn't believe the difference when I had Lillypad's first party - after years of boys and noise, farting contests and high-energy entertainment!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I especially liked the sentence "Extreme youth, mired in the frustration of waiting for it all to begin, allied to extreme old age, terrified that it’s all about to end."

Thank you for sharing those wonderful moments with us.

Crystal xx

Unknown said...

So well written. Lovely to hear you had such a fantastic day. I hope your Grandma is feeling better now.

My daughter turned 3 a couple of months ago. We didn't have a party due to my dad still being unwell, but I'm sure next year will be different ... especially as she will be well established at Nursery by then.

@themill said...

I am going to start a campaign to get you into print to a wider audience! You are so talented.
That was truly wonderful and I associate so much with what you have written.
I did rebel against the party bags tho'. I bought bottles of bubbles, wrapped them and had a Lucky Dip (in good old fashioned sawdust). Kids loved it - they'd never seen it before.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

What a lovely present. Once I gave in and hired a clown, or something similar each year I was able to enjoy our kid's birthday's as well. Hated all the judgement when the party bags weren't considered up to it . . .

Hope your Grandma is ok - a fall when you are older is so much more scary than when you were a kid.

DJ Kirkby said...

Great post,very emotive. That rag doll is so beautiful!

Fennie said...

Another wonderful blog, evocating so many happy memories of when my own children were small - 'when the ether seems to thicken' yes it does, doesn't it? That magical moment the hour before midnight on Christmas Eve when the animals are supposed to be able to talk to each other and all is mystery. It is all about ritual and these are so important for families, aren't they. I am at the stage of moving to a new ritual. Once I thought about 'the children.' Now it is their turn and they think about 'the parents.' The initiative has passed. We have to move gracefully with the times. It is reminiscent of those times when they are about 12 and one day you are their best friend and the next they hardly want to know you, having found new best friends among their peers. You've set me rambling with your lovely blog.

Tattieweasle said...

Oh so glad there's another one who lovees birthday parties as much as I do - I have to remember that tehy belong to my boys and NOT to me! We took over the village hall this year parachute games, Disney, bubble maker and all! So exciting - I never got those sorts to Birthday parties - pray to heaven that The Boy loved it - he certainly seemed to...

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Lovely blog...she will be on to the cinema trips and similar so soon...glad you are making the most of it.

CAMILLA said...

Happy Birthday to your little girl SM. I just love being amongst young children, and at their parties too. Sorry your Grandma had a fall, quite worrying at that age.

A lovely blog, and sweet little Ragdoll.

Camilla.x

Jane said...

Hi SM - I am so glad that she loved the doll.
I love my girls' brithdays too, though the youngest is now coming up for 7 and we will be headed out to do something more "sophisticated" with a small group of friends. I shall miss the fairies and princesses galumphing round the house.
Last year a friend organised a bath bomb and soap making party for my eldest (it would have been for her 9th birthday and, as she is much less worldlythat her little sister, she wanted to keep parties home based) - the children loved it (ages 5-11) and as they all had things thay had made to take home there was no party bag issue.
I have moved my blog to typepad now - the link is www.snapdragongarden.typepad.com and the direct link to the website (for dolls) is www.snapdragongarden.co.uk
J
x

Kitty said...

That was a great blog - happy birthday to your baby! Love Jane's doll too , very very clever.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

what a lovely blog - i have been looking for you and so hoping you hadn't decided to give up and here you are! i loved children's parties too and the long summer holidays that mums seem to moan about. not that my children were perfect by any means, i just loved the sense of sharing their lives for a while. absolutely fabulous present too!

Milla said...

Gorgeous, as ever, Suffolk. And isn't K going to be tiny going to school! I was so lucky having Toby in September so kept him a whole year longer - gosh, hope that doesn't sound suffocating for him or nah nah ni nah nah to you!

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Oh you write so well, it makes me want to give up! I agreed with it all, I also love their birthday parties, and after doing a few parties at home, always hire a hall if possible. the devastation small children can wreak is terrifying.
I loved your description of the night before, 'dead on my feet' rang very true, but the knowledge that you have to carry on, and even on 4 hours sleep I genuinely enjoy their birthday excitement. And a final thank-you...have just ordered my baby's birthday present from Snapdragon Jane.
Happy Grinning Pigx

ps: All our children have a grandparental name slotted into their name too!

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Oh, and I'd like to sign up to @theMill's campaign to get you a magazine column or something...:-)

Inthemud said...

Hi SM,
Good to hear from you.
Yes Bewilderwood is great, how wonderful to think you've been there too! When did you go? We were there on 7 August! Should have been wearing my Skool Uniform!
It's such an enchanting place, did you go on the boat? That was fun.
Children loved the huge slides and the zip wires.

Chris Stovell said...

Thanks for your good wishes, your thoughts are much appreciated.

Exmoorjane said...

Perfection in a blog, SM! Once again I find myself vigorously nodding as I read - yes, to the carrot sticks, yes to the tyranny of party bags (and yes, head in hands, to the inability to say no). Love the idea too of little one and elder sharing their woes on the phone..
My only slight regret in life is not having a little girl (as well as my boy)...something about party dresses and prettiness that I will always miss.
I agree with @themill, we need to get your writing 'out there'. A piece like this should be in Junior..... at the very least.
Agree with Faith too - your blogs are always a delicious treat, to be relished (just like pretty cupcakes and parties really).

Maggie Christie said...

Beautifully written and may I add my supprt to @themill's campaign to get your writing to a wider audience.
I wish I could share your love of childrens' parties - mine fill me with dread!
But I love birthdays at home: the anticipation, the family rituals, the homemade cake. Wonderful.
I too wish I could be the parent who just sends the children home with cake and a balloon. That actually did happen at a party recently and it was such a relief. The children didn't complain (and they had all 'won' a prize at some point during proceedings). Will I be that brave for Rosie's 4th birthday in December? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Glorious! lovely to see you blogging...never give up! I remember the fun in making a "Train" birthday cake for the girls with Swiss Rolls, mini-Swiss Rolls and chocolate and smarties...now we're heading for a 21st birthday cake, and it won't be a train...still, I wouln't have it any other way.

Elsie Button said...

I LOVED the first paragraph and the line 'Extreme youth, mired in the frustration of waiting for it all to begin, allied to extreme old age, terrified that it’s all about to end.'

And what a wonderful description of all the excitment surrounding a birthday - i totally agree with you, and it took me back to my own excitment of my birthdays when i was little and all the little rituals me and my brother had. And I cannot wait to start all our own rituals (although a lot of them will probably be very similar to the ones I had) with betty. birthdays, christmases... i cannot wait!

A really lovely post! And a lovely present from fellow blogger too!

Frog in the Field said...

I always love my daughters' Birthday Parties. Other Mums look on as if to say, what is wrong with you? but I love it. Pretty pink balloons, fairy cakes, iced gems and of course pretty pink dresses.
What a beautifully written blog, so glad I dropped in.

Stay at home dad said...

Lovely writing SM, as everyone has said. I liked your description of the birthday and Christmas memories and it took me way back. Hope it was all fund.

Sahd.

Pipany said...

Lovely blog as ever SM. I love the children's birthdays although sometimes I do wonder how it will ever come together. The worst cake I remember making was supposed to be a fairy castle with two towers complete with candles; unfortunately it looked more like an altar with pillar candles!!!! Not quite what I was after! Thanks for the lovely comments by the way and glad you are still blogging - finally posted one myself today after a couple of months break and it felt very strange to do so (but very nice too) xxx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Ah, yes - children's parties! My Boy spends months planning his, writing and re-writing the guest list, changing the venue, choosing what kind of food, what kind of cake... And every year, however carefully I try to plan it, he always seems to end up in tears - a bit too much excitement, I think. Like me, I think he probably prefers the quiet life (but hasn't recognised it yet).

Lovely to read about your little girl, who must be starting school about now - another huge milestone. Hope it all goes well.