Tuesday 11 September 2007

We Plough the Fields and Scatter ....

It’s a bit of a cliché, I suppose, to talk about the first whispers in the air of autumn and the effect it has on me, but since it is by far my favourite season, I’m going to mention it anyway. I just love this time of year. The light is softer, kinder, there’s the merest hint of parting and melancholy, and a blue autumn sky is one of my favourite sights. It feels as if there is a new energy taking hold as the year races on and we strive to catch the last of the light, before the long night falls. I always feel as if I’m in a bit of a race against time, that I have to tidy, sort out, put things to bed. I get far more of an urge to clear out now than I do in the spring. The garden, having reverted to wilderness because of the neglect it always suffers in late summer, teases me with delights hidden behind mountainous weeds – late-flowering roses, borage appearing again, dahlias and nasturtiums peeping out from dense foliage. I don’t even want to think about what needs doing to the house, but inside too I have this pressing, insistent need to organise and sort. I think of it as a late flurry of activity before the desire to hibernate takes hold; I could cheerfully sleep in front of a fire all winter, I’m sure I was a dormouse in a previous life.

Yet for the children it’s a time of new beginnings, a new year far more significant than January 1st. I watch them setting off, my son twice the size of my daughter, calm, protective, dependable. A quiet and thoughtful boy, I get flashes of the man he may become, and almost cry. Seeing my daughter trot alongside him, pleased as punch with her new school uniform, reminds me of the lyrics to one of my favourite Bert Jansch songs: “Fresh as a sweet Sunday morning, like a high-stepping pony, trotting and prancing, ah she’s so full of life, sparkling with tiny red roses”. There’s heartbreak at the classroom door, but smiles at playtime as she’s reunited with her brother, and a beaming face greets me at pick-up. Fourteen more years of going to school every morning; an era is over, for her and for me.

Yesterday I was wiped out with a migraine. Not fun. Blind spots in my vision heralding the agony, then jagged bright lines ripping the world apart. The throbbing pain, when it arrives, is as instantly familiar and unwelcome as the contractions of childbirth, and I’m just as powerless to stop it. No gorgeous babe to suckle at the end of it – although today the pain is reduced to a dull thud, and I have the prospect of pain-free sleep tonight – I told you I was a dormouse.

A long time ago as I was asked to write about the sounds and smells that might reach me, were I to be in a coma. I promptly forgot all about it, and am now, as ever, just about the last to complete the task. I fear mine will be repetitive, but just to ease my conscience, and in no particular order, here goes:

1. Birdsong, preferably the evening chorus which always seems to be more contented, more replete. If I were to pick a favourite bird call, it would probably be the lone cry of a curlew, high on the moors, but I’m also partial to the mellow cooing of a wood pigeon on a summer’s day, and the melancholic hoot of the barn owl on a winter’s evening, as he circuits the house.

2.Possibly a bit of a strange one, this, but I’ve already instructed my husband to play me a tape of the football scores, should I ever be in said coma (cheerful thought). Not because I will particularly want to hear how Newcastle did – I’m not that devoted – but because there’s something reassuringly familiar and cosy about the ritual of reading them all out. It reminds me of being a small child and falling asleep on the sofa late on a Saturday afternoon, with my Mum in the kitchen and the men all gathered round the TV, the printer on the television whirring in the background. I’m not Scottish, but for some reason it was the romantic names of the Scottish teams that penetrated my subconscious – Queen of the South, Heart of Midlothian, Motherwell, Hibernian.

3. Of all the flower smells I love, including lilac, sweet peas and freesias, I think I’d plump for Lily of the valley. The scent of the perfume Diorissimo always gets me right in the solar plexus.

4. The Kinks singing Waterloo Sunset. Reminds me of being young, ambitious and in love with life and London.

5. The scent of Christmas trees. Never fails to inspire me with the magic of Christmas

6. The smell of Rosemary, crushed between my fingers. I love all herbs, but Rosemary can transport me in an instant to star-lit Mediterranean nights, and mountains sweeping down to the sea.

7. The sound of crickets, for the same reasons.

8. The sound of water rushing over stones – so fresh and clean sounding, so joyful and impatient.

9. Either of my children calling Mummy – but preferably in their happy, loving, voices, not the imperious yells that sometime penetrate my subconscious at 4.00 am.

10. The smell of clean sheets. I suppose I ought to say fresh and wind-blown from the line, which is lovely, but actually fresh from the dryer will do just as well, and reminds me of the excitement of going to the launderette with my Mum as a tiny child (we didn’t get out much as toddlers in those days!)

41 comments:

toady said...

Aaah the Kinks and Waterloo Sunset, one of my favourites, but surely you're too young to remeber when it came out?
I think we've all referred to the autumn feeling of melancholia. It's funny how the seasons affect us. I love this time of year. So right about the softer light.

Hannah Velten said...

Never thought of the football scores like that, but now I too can see the comforting familiarity of them...I used to watch them when I was young, but only because I was waiting for the saturday night programmes to come on - probably The Generation Game....

Lovely choices.

Mootia x

Milla said...

yes, I adore that Kinks song too, and Sunny Afternoon, same louche laid back vague optimism. But hate autumn, dread the downhill trudge into winter, the cold, the end of long pointless chatting out in the open, the doors having to close, the green of plants having gone August tatty now going September shagged-out and dry. Hate hate hate it. And Miss Dior for me, and always has been since 15. Football scores, no sirree, though get your lull, that lilting pause and the magic of weird names and imagining a dear big porker in a too small shirt urgently ticking off names on a draw sheet. bit like the shipping forecast (which also doesn't quite do it for me, but again can sort of see). Clean sheets, yumtastic, as your legs scissor in them to get full benefit. I've been tagged to do this too. And haven't. Slower still than you...

Anonymous said...

I bet your two looked absolutely gorgeous! I'd love a photo if you have any to email.

Christmas trees is definitely one my my firm faves too. Not sure about football scores though. Think I could live without those!!

Best wishes, Crystal xx

bodran... said...

I love the garden this time of the year too, so abundent, and smelling gorgeous...xx

Elizabethd said...

Christmas trees, yes! I forgot that one. so many of us agree about the sound of our childrens voices, the smell of newly dry laundry!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Beautiful blog, as always, Suffolkmum. I was thinking your little girl must be starting school round about now - hope it's going well. And I do sympathise about the migraine - I get them too, and they're something you just need to sit out and wait for the end.

As for your sounds and smells - yes to the birdsong (apart from the wood pigeon, perhaps. We have so many round here and they're so insistent, it sometimes drives me a bit mad). And the football scores - James Alexander Gordon? My particular favourite is Hamilton Academicals - however did they come up with that name? And crickets - yes! The very essence of a Mediterranean summer night.

CAMILLA said...

I remember The Kinks, bought a lot of their music way back in London. I did not know you lived in London, would not like to back and live there as I love the Country, but I do get an "inkling" to go back there and see our house, and the buzz of the City.

I love Dior, it is my favourite, heavenly scent. I actually do not mind the season of Autumn, but not so on Winter, the dark early nights drawing in. The sound of any Bird does it for me, their sweet song filling the air.

I still have yet to do my list, I will eventually time permitting get it finished.

Camilla.x

Chris Stovell said...

That was a lovely line about catching glimpses of the man your son will become. Do sympathise about migraines - horrible. Enjoyed your list but football scores would probably push me over the edge!

tim relf said...

Golly, you've made me think now... I wonder what little glimpses of the bloke I'd become my mother used to see.
I'm embarrassed to say a lot probably hasn't changed all that much: my room's still a pig-sty, I still get grazed knees from playing football and still get shouted at for gutting fish on the kitchen units (albeit now, not by my mother, but by the other woman in my life!)

Jan said...

Hello Suffolk Mum. Im looking forward to catching up with all in Blogland again soon!

Suffolkmum said...

Tim - well, they do say the manis the father of the boy! Thinking about it, there are some habits that I'd rather he drops ...
Hello Jan! Delighted to see you back, look forward to catching up!

Chris Stovell said...

Hello my dear - just popped back to tell you that you can get onto Tom's website from the links on the right of my blog but see you've now got there. Thanks for your interest. Hope that you are now migraine free (mine tend to hover for a few days before clearing up).

Livvy U. said...

This is such a beautiful post, dripping with jewels for the senses!
Autumn's my favourite time, too. Oh, the light at this time of year.
The migraine thing is harsh but it's no wonder, what with your little one going to school et al - the end of an era. I have that to face next year, one more year of special time.
Thanks for this.

Stay at home dad said...

Sad though isn't it? Summer ending? Maybe that's just me, as usual...

However agree with you about sleeping and firesides.

Suffolkmum said...

Livvy, yes,you're probably right, I always get the damn things when I've been waiting for something, or working towards something. SAHD - yes, it is kind of sad, but I think I'm slightly addicted to that faint air of melancholy!

Anonymous said...

A sheer joy to read SFM; enjoyed it so much had to read it twice. Love Waterloo Sunset, pleasant memories of Art Class at school, golden sun streaming in through the classroom window, and all the budding Monet's drawing squiggly lines!

The scent of Christmas, mulled wine, spices and that particularly wonderful smell from a real Christmas tree. Can't abide the faux ones. Thank you for this beautiful blog!

Rob Clack said...

Fascinating. I agree with most of your sensual list. I might add the Verdi Requiem. I'd skip the football and kids (no kids, so I have a different take on them) and I'd sub night-scented stocks for the lily of the valley, but the rest do it for me the way they do it for you. Lovely.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Lovely list. I like your take on autumn. I am utterly overwhelmed by spring every year but September (and a golden October) are lovely too as long as you can keep at bay the thought that November is just around the corner. got to discipline yourself not to think forward, just to be in the gold and blue day.
i am absolutely with you on the football scores and am a real sucker for the shipping forecast, especially since i bothered to find out where the places were. this is the kind of thing you can do when your children leave home, even if you are working and busy. dont know why.

@themill said...

I used to wear Diorissimo, but after I had the children it didn't seem to smell the same on me. I too share the need to hibernate, but other than the first sniff of autumn air I'm with Milla.
Lovely blog as always and no, you're not the last - I haven't done it yet either.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Lovely blog - lovely list can empathise with everything you have written.

I hope the migraine is past . . do you get them very often . . . I really really do sympathise if you do I had them for many years so know how disruptive they are.

annakarenin said...

I just came from Milkmaids blog and she had Doirissoma (sp) on her list too) I have never smelt it but feel terribly guilty about digging up all the Lily valley in my front garden recently.

The previous two posts were a real joy to read. I think your writing is actually getting even better and it certainly time to try the book you mentioned on Milla's post in the common room. I caught it this afternoon if they are anything to go by.

It must be so strange seeing your youngest off to school. Sam has started half days at the mo but full time in a weeks time. He slept for three hours when he came home on Wednesday so I doubt he will cope with a full week. I might suggest he does half days for the second half for a while if he can't cope. I think I will find it very strange when Elliot starts in 2 years time. Thomas is 10 on Tuesday and I have been a home mother with each of them since he was born.

annakarenin said...

p.s know that migraine feeling very well.

dgibbs said...

I have those types of migraines, luckily not very often. I love autumn and am so glad to see after the sweltering summer we just had. I think the list was relaxing just to read, I like so many of those sounds and smells.

Suffolkmum said...

Hi Dgibbs, thanks for stopping by. Lukcily I don't get them too often either, though I did when I was younger - horrible. Glad you like many of the same scents!

Elsie Button said...

lovely as always. i too love the sound of the wood pigeon, the smell of christmas trees, water rushing over stones... my comforting/familiar noise would be the shipping forecast - as i always remember that playing on the radio when i was little, during dark mornings, getting ready for school.

Kitty said...

Ah, yes, the football scores - reminds me of sitting on my gradfather's knee on a saturday afternoon, I guess the smell of him and his armchair would be one of my list, when I get around to it).

Those migraines are killers - thankfully I get them less and less now, but weekly when I was pregnant. Ouch. So I sympathise! I think they're hormonal but I often get one after a period of stress has passed - perhaps after little one starting school for you?

I love Autumn too, by far my favourite season.

Fennie said...

So sorry to hear of the migraine. Elder Daughter suffers badly. Luckily I haven't had one for years - touches wood!

I loved this piece - your writing manages to combine delicateness and forcefulness - it's a wonderful style.

And the football scores I can sign up to that - especially the Scottish ones - Queen of the South 1 - Airdrie NIL. Can I add one item to the list in this category? Big Ben at midnight. Makes me feel cosy in the darkness. God's in his Heaven and all's right with the world.

Inthemud said...

Hi SM

At last a chance to pop in and see you.

I loved your lists, water running over stones, Kinks Waterloo setsun very special,

Hope your migraine gone now.
I love this time of year but I too like to hibernate over winter!
Get SADs as light lessens during day time.

Warmest wishes
Elaine

Exmoorjane said...

So beautiful, your list. Yes yes yes to almost all of it and beyond all to 'Mummy' - possibly the loveliest word in the world. Know what you mean too about the football scores - a sound of childhood with that ticker tape sound in the background. Ditto the shipping news...
Migraines are horrible, horrible. I get them very very rarely - every few years - but that horrible zig-zagging and the knowledge that nothing to do about it. Though apparently they can be hormonal, I've recently learned.

Loved the image of your boy and girl too (so glad school is good for her)....and yes, the men our boys will become - nearly made me cry....you CAN see it sometimes, can't you?
Sorry, all very disjointed comments but very lovely as always (your blog, not my comments!!) jxxx

Cait O'Connor said...

We do share some of the same loves. I hadn't read this before I wrote about the curlew, birdsong etc.
I know what you mean about the football scores and clean sheets - ah!
I too love autumn, the days we have had lately have been perfect for me. The air is so clean and fresh somehow and I am in a clear out, get organised mood. My melancholy has passed - I think I had a bug actually, watch out for it, it makes you very tired as well....

Cait O'Connor said...

PS I get migraines too, wouldn't you know? I had one last week.

Grouse said...

I'm in total agreement about the autumn being a spiritual New Year as the languer of the sumer wears off.
I think the football results are a bit like the shipping forcast.......always there......

Posie said...

You capture it all so well, you really are a talented writer SM...kloved reading this, and as for clear outs in autumn I am in the middle of clearing and de cluttering every room, it has the same afffect on me. I hated handing my 'babies' over to school, the end of one era and the beginning of another...

Pig in the Kitchen said...

It's always so soothing to come and visit you suffolk mum. Right with you about babes going off to school, and the need to tidy...but actually that is a constant need in my life and not related to the Autumn.
The football scores! For me it was the scores, cheese on toast and Doctor Who. You bought saturday nights of my youth right back to me!
Pigx

Tattieweasle said...

The bit about your Boy and catching glimpses of the man he'll become really got to me! Lovely blog... now I've PMed you re the meeting on Thursday slight change -do hope you still want to meet up when you've read it...

Chris Stovell said...

Just popped back to say how kind your comments on my writing blog were - yep, I've made some terrible mistakes (and those are just the writing ones!!). Now, brace yourself and send something to a magazine or writing comp!

Pipany said...

A beautiful blog Suffolkmum and very much how I am feeling too. My favourite time of year though Christmas, Easter and most other times come close too! xx

Sally Townsend said...

What a heavenly five minutes I have spent reading your blog SM .

Frog in the Field said...

Where have I been? What a beautiful post.
You bring peace to my chaos!

Woozle1967 said...

Hi SM - just popping in to say hello. Autumn's my favourite season and I have been able to curl up in front of the fire and put the chaos of our building work behind me, staring into the flames with a glass of red (well, it has to be at this time of year, doesn't it?). Am missing the Rayburn, though, and look like it'll be off for a couple of months yet........aargh.xx