Wednesday 31 October 2007

Spirits and Places

I’ve been suffering lately from blogstipation. Not too dramatic an illness, and one that can be explained away by general ‘busyness’. Yet despite really having been busy, I’ve had a general sense of being sort of, well, stalled in some sense. Maybe it’s a seasonal thing, but despite trying to move things up a gear in all aspects of my life, I feel like I’ve been treading water instead.

Anyway, since it’s Hallowe'en, and to stop myself thinking about the dozen or so small children who are going to descend on me at 4.00 pm for ‘fun’ (I’m horribly unprepared, and will no doubt adopt my bad witch persona), I’ve been thinking about hauntings. Not ghosties and ghoulies, but hauntings of place, the sense of presiding spirits or genius loci all around us. I’m reading Sea Room by Adam Nicolson, (I know a blogging friend of mine is reading it too – I’m on the last chapter Mags!) and am captivated by his evocation of a place (the Shiants in the Western Isles) which, to us now, are on the limits of our world, geographically and politically. Of course remoteness is all relative, and for many people these rocks in a turbulent sea have been the centre of the universe. It’s a beautiful and imaginative and passionate book, and as I near the end I’m struck by how strongly the inherent spirit of these particular islands comes through the pages. Nicolson describes it as a tutelary, sometimes frightening, spirit in a place of inherent sanctity. I think we all have an innate sense of the spirit of a place, urban or wild, whether or not we think there is something external and unseen among us, or if we put it down to a sense of history, or a psychological reaction to landscape brought about by our own unconscious memories and feelings.

I remember being very aware of the link between landscape and feelings at an early age. We moved around a lot when I was little, and ending up, for a brief while, in Buckinghamshire, after the north east, I can still vividly remember the greenness and softness. I used to dream of a ‘greeny-white lady’, drifting through fields, something damp and wistful about her. No doubt I’d heard a ghost story which had stuck in my head. Moving on to London, as we did shortly afterwards, was less strange, in a way, as I’d already lived in a city and immediately recognised the pulsing energy, like constantly having a half-tuned radio on in the background. Suffolk is different again; I often think of a ‘Green Man’ here, something half-wild and shy living in the hedgerows, something ancient and fertile and linked to agriculture. On this beautiful green, gold and russet morning, late in the year, I’d love to know what others think, and if they think that a sense of place, a sense of presiding spirit, is important to them, on this day of hauntings. Happy Halloween.

21 comments:

Tattieweasle said...

I think this day is also known as All Souls Day - I maybe wrong...but I agree places have their own spirits, the majority friendly I have found or maybe it is because I have turned away from those that are not.
I find it particularly powerful in buildings and despite the tragedies I know that surround my home this place is a jolly place, a happy home and caring place and we're lucky to be here!

Pipany said...

I think all places have their own spirits Suffolkmum, I just don't think everyone is particularly receptive/intuitive to these feelings. I am and am sometimes overwhelmed by what I can pick up in a building or place. Glad the blogstipation may be on the wane! xx

Inthemud said...

Sounds a fascinating book.

Yes, I do think some places are more spiritual than others.

There 's a place in wales where there is a crstal mountain and whenever I went there I found myself so much more at peace than beforehand.

Know what you mean about blogispation, has affected me recently, not wanted to do it even when have had time, though busy too.
Hope party goes well, Lucy is off to one with her friends
Do you know why some blogs are saying their location is Afghanistan? Yours does!

Posie said...

Know what you mean Suffolk Mum, I always think places have a huge sense of atmosphere. Have you ever walked round a school in the evening when most of the children have gone home? You can still feel the energies and presence of the children even though they have left the premises. The same with churches, they definately have a very strong atmosphere. I always found the North coast of Scotland to have a very strong desolate atmosphere as a child,and found it unsettling, looking back I am sure it has such an atmosphere because of the awful tragedies that occured there at the time of the clearances.
Good to catch up.

Cait O'Connor said...

I've just been for a walk on this beautiful day, everything is bathed in golden light, the colours of autumn with a backdrop of blue sky. I couldn't help noticing the spirit of the place, my only company being sheep, birds and my dogs of course and a lone horse rider who passed me along a lane. (Was she real?). I am very affected by place as I am sure you are.

mountainear said...

It seems to me that some places do carry their history with them - as if all the souls that have ever lived there are waiting in the wings. It's certainly not tangible thing - more to be sensed.

Definitely a thought for a spooky evening.

Faith said...

I am sensitive to the atmosphere in places, or parts of places. It must be pleasant to NOT be sensitive I think, and just skim through life without feeling all these things.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Yes, you are here again! have been looking for you again and again (sorry, not meant to be pressurising, just so pleased). I read the Adam Nicholson too and loved it.
I agree entirely about the sense of place. I have lived in lots of different places and they are astonishingly different and do different things to your life and to your soul. Just back from london tonight with a strong sense that this space and greenness have become necessary.
sometimes you need to get stuck before you move on again.

@themill said...

The first time I walked into our house it spoke to me. It had been empty for 17 years before we came here and it was as if it was waiting for me. It was a sense of total and absolute belonging, the like of which I could never have imagined existing.
Lovely post, as always.

Norma Murray said...

You are the only other person I've ever come across who has read the Sea Room. I am absolutely in love with the whole idea of the Shiants. It took me ages to find them on a map.

CAMILLA said...

I have never really believed in the spirit, but know of many who have this wonderful feeling of another presence. Tonight was quite strange, for as I sat at my desk knowing that all doors were locked, I heard the sound of movement in the study, where Robbie liked to lay. Would be nice to know that his spirit was there to comfort me.

The book you mention sounds most interesting SM.

Camilla.xx

Camilla.xx

DJ Kirkby said...

I find places like Cornwall and Devon and Wales more spiritual and uplifting than the rest. I could wander in the wilds for hours enjoying the peaceful busy noises in the undergrowth.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Lovely to see you blogging again, Suffolkmum - your blogs are always so thoughtful and a real pleasure to read. I understand what you mean about the sense of a spirit of a place - the southwest, where I'm living now is so different in almost every way from the cold, hard, flat part of the northeast where I grew up. I was fascinated to discover the differences in geology between the two places - this part of the country (well, a bit further down, in Somerset, actually) has some of the most complex and multi-layered geology in the country, and I think the resonances of the different kinds of stone can really be felt. And strangely enough, I was talking to someone just this morning about a book she is writing about the spirit of a house (not exactly the same, I know, but related). I'd better stop now, or I'll go on all day - very interesting topic, though.
LBD xx

Pig in the Kitchen said...

thanks for the book review, it may join my ever-growing pile of 'books i really want to read'. I'm not sure I pick up on spirits in the same way. Beautiful scenery lifts my own spirits, but i think that's something different. My mother used to sense a 'presence' in my Grandad's house, I never could. However, the house we have in Normandy I'm sure has a spirit. I can feel it smile as we arrive, and i always make sure I kiss it goodbye. I think it likes our mess, clutter and noisy children.
I sound like a complete fruit loop.
Apologies.
Pigx

Kitty said...

Another book on my list...

Jan said...

Thankyou again for a great posting.
Dont get blogstipation...your blog is a superb one and we want more! Thanks too for the book recomendation.

Jane Adams said...

I've just found your blog. Don't ask me how... but after reading a few posts I love the way you write. I know what you mean about blogstipation... I've had it too for the last week. I had loads to say in my blog (urbanextension.wordpress.com) but couldn't actually get it out... I need to make a list and make each thought into a separate blog post. Keep writing.

Suffolkmum said...

Hello Jane, thanks for reading and for your comments. Always nice to get them!

Exmoorjane said...

Well yes, absolutely and of course....... I am only just realising now we have left, quite how oppressive and looming was my old valley...how heavy the atmosphere, how loaded somehow, despite all the beauty. There was a watching, an observing going on - of older things somehow. Ah, I wish I had my books all in their proper places as there are a few I think you would love.....but I can't for the life of me remember their names....

Lovely blog as ever....very glad the blogstipation lifted for a moment.... jxxxx

Maggie Christie said...

Hi SM, you've overtaken me with Sea Room! I have paused to read my book club book (Rabbit Proof Fence). Adam Nicolson's writing is beautiful. I loved the bit about the torc.

Places definitely have their spirits. When we have any kind of difficulty on the farm - sheep misbehaving, horrid neighbours etc - we mentally call on the spirits of everone who has farmed the land before us to come and help. It works every time. I love walking along our green lane in the dark without a torch - there's always somebody else there and they are friendly.

Manservant said...

I can also recommend 'Atlantic Britain' by Adam Nicolson