Thursday 4 October 2007

Pets, Partings and Petulance

It’s been a week of small losses. The sort of week where you hold your breath, cross your fingers, and trust that the planets will re-align themselves, or the wind will change, or that your wicked alter ego, the one that slams doors and swears a lot and has a nice line in acerbic put -downs, will disappear. It started with a death, of a fat and contented and really quite fetching hamster (and I say this as one who hitherto hated all rodents). I guess it’s the lot of hamsters, to spend a really quite short amount of time crazily spinning on their wheels, then to shuffle off this mortal coil and so help our children to come to terms, in a not too horrifying way, with mortality. Well that was our general idea, anyway. We didn’t think he’d inveigle his way into our family, with his pink eyes and plump albino body. (My son chose him. He wouldn’t have won any beauty contests). And as is the way of things, the long expected event was more sad than we’d anticipated. My boy had been telling a friend, with great excitement, about his very own pet, and went to get him from his cage. It’s always a shock to find a little body stiff and cold, and the timing was bad – bravery needed in front of said friend. We gave him a good send-off though – a coffin lined with cotton wool and bedecked with flowers, a cross with dates engraved by my son, a garden candle lit by the grave. I do realise how cosseted my children are, in global terms. How fortunate they are to have only faced the death-of-old-age of family pets, how lucky to be able to give vent to their feelings and come to some sort of an understanding of death (or dull acceptance, which is all any of us really do, I guess), without their parents falling apart too, without the horror of human death leaving indelible marks of grief of their childhoods. Yet of course, as their mother, I wish they didn’t have to face it at all. I know I can’t wrap them in cotton wool, I know I shouldn’t want to, but sometimes I do. And sometimes, when my patience is at a low ebb, I want to stop answering their innocent questions, all too well aware that there will be future occasions when I’ll have to answer them whilst poleaxed with grief myself. My daughter, never one to be fobbed off, was instantly suspicious of my explanations, despite my reading and re-reading of the wonderful story ‘Goodbye Mog’ by Judith Kerr, which helped my son so much when we lost a cat. She wanted to go straight out the next morning and dig up the hamster, to see what had happened to him in the night. I told her that eventually bodies become grass and flowers, whilst the spirits fly off to heaven. She thinks that heaven sounds rubbish, and that the hamster must be bored and cross because he can’t be with her. Oh for the egocentricity of youth. My son just misses a little creature that shared our house for a couple of years. But he’ll probably get another one. And so it goes on. ….

We also lost a car last week, thanks to my husband wrapping it round a tree, and thankfully and miraculously, emerging unscathed. My daughter wanted another funeral for the car. But she didn’t get one. What else was lost? Well, my temper, I’m ashamed to say, on a couple of occasions, and my general joie de vivre, due to a whole host of small and irritating problems raising their annoying little heads. The wind will change though, and the planets will right themselves, and we will all be bouncy and Tigger-ish again. In the meantime, I will cheer myself up by writing down a list of my favourite novels, given that I was tagged by Jan, and haven’t yet responded. For those readers from Purplecoo, it will be very familiar, since we’ve been posting about our top books already, so do look away now, but since I am an inveterate list maker, here is my choice:

1.So many childhood favourites, from Little Grey Rabbit to Enid Blyton to Noel Streatfield and all those school and/or horsey authors. And Lucy M Boston … I’m cheating, I know, and if I have to pick one, I think it will be Teddy Robinson by Joan G Robinson. I still remember the magic of my mother reading me the adventures of this growly, funny, all too human bear, and the gorgeously cosy yet magical world inhabited by him and Deborah. A must for all little girls of about six, I would think, and there’s some really clever writing that made me alert, I think, to a nice turn of phrase.

2.The Owl Service by Alan Garner. I read it as a teenager, and was bewitched by the haunting atmosphere and ghosts of celtic mythology. A great writer.

3.The Catcher in the Rye. Probably my all time favourite. Just love it.

4.To Kill a Mockingbird. Loved the film too. A heartbreaking and heartwarming book, and Scout reminds me increasingly of my own hot tempered girl.

5.Emma. I came relatively late to Jane Austen, thinking it was all a bit mannered and precious for me. How wrong I was – I love the subtlety and humour. There’s something about Emma that gets me every time; so much that isn’t said but that we work out for ourselves.

6.The Code of the Woosters, PG Wodehouse. My Dad first got me into PG Wodehouse – again, I’d thought it was just farce. Well, it is farce, but genius farce. The above book never fails to delight me.

7.The Edible Woman, Margaret Atwood. I love anything and everything that she writes, but this was the first one I read, and it’s one I go back to time and again. She has herself described it as an immature work, and it’s true that some of her later novels have more depth, but it’s so fresh, so funny, and so modern, despite the fact that it was written before I was born.

8. The Great Gatsby, Scott Fitzgerald. Sublime writing.

9.Wuthering Heights. Ditto. I love Jane Eyre too, but in the great debate, I’d choose Wuthering Heights. It’s got it all – the passion, the wildness, the grotesqueness, sometimes, of the characters contrasted with the lyrical and poetic writing – beautiful.

10.Le Grand Meaulnes, Alain Fournier. I did read it once in French, (I’m bragging now) but lately I’m only up to reading it in translation. A haunting tale of youth and dreams and loss.

So many more. I'm bound to think of another five that I should have included the minute I post this. But I'd better stop there.

32 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Oh poor old hammy - did laugh at your little girl wanting to dig him up to see what had happened. Ah, hamsters, we've buried a few (the girls heartily rejecting my sneaky suggestion of a wheelie bin send off). Thank goodness your husband is ok, after his accident. So hope that life picks up for all of you again soon - great list of books.

Kitty said...

Poor hamster, poor children. H wanted to dig a stray cat up that we found a year ago half dead. He insited on the full burial with headstone, but then was intrigued as to what Smokey looked like now. For months I had to watch him and his friends like a hawk as they set off across the fields with sticks and a seaside spade.

Impressive books, mine would be much more low-brow!

Sally Townsend said...

Do you think we should have all just bypassed this week ? As the saying goes 'things can only get better' meanwhile a moan is seriously allowed. x

Milla said...

Have been spared hamsters and therefore the hideous deaths of small bags of fur. Came across a rotting rabbit today, a pity I couldn't have sent it to K. Nice books, although found WH too much and prefer the other Brontes. Would add War and Peace, The Corrections and, the funniest book ever (up there with PGW and Lucky Jim) The Confederacy of Dunces.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Lost count of number of animals buried in various parts of various gardens. The dog was the worst loss and he was too big to bury - all very sad but all recovered from.
So sorry you are feeling inside out. It just comes upon you sometimes doesnt it and goes away as mysteriously. Hope this beautiful day will have helped it to disappear.
You won't be surprised that your books include loads of my favourites. Did you read something as a child called "The Far Distant Oxus"/ Utterly bewitched me and I have never come across anyone else who has ever heard of it.

Norma Murray said...

Sorry about the hamster and the car. Loved the book list. With the exception of the one written in French, we have very similar tastes.

Casdok said...

Love the list of books, its difficult isnt it as there are so many.

Exmoorjane said...

Ah, all too familiar....not from james' childhood as have, meanly, not given him hamsters or mice or anything with a short lifespan (though poor Monty our boxer didn't live his allotted years) but from my own childhood when, oh yes, oh yes, coffins were lined, and sermons intoned and crosses fabricated and the burial took place with all due solemnity followed a few days later by the desecration of the grave to, indeed, see if said creature had become a skellington (sic). Morbidly fascinated. Still am really.
So sorry you have had such a prap week. Let's indeed blame the planets...and hope for a kinder alignment next week eh?

PS -Alan Garner = one of my very few total utter literary gods.

Hannah Velten said...

Digging up the hamster - ohh, I like your girlie's inquisitiveness! We did the same thing (well, buried it) with a mouse we found lying on the doorstep - all a bit surreal...then the cat (assumed killer) came back and pooed on the grave - it had no shame, and that caused a few tears! Hope your week/weekend improves - sure it will; at least you are all safe and sound (thinking of the car accident)....Mootia x

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Ditto what ChrisH said - plus I laughed too at your daughter thinking that heaven sounds rubbish.

Oh to protect our children from everything - haven't we all wanted to do that at one time or another, but we all know it does them no favours in the end . . sigh . .mine are at Uni and I still want to protect then from the World!

Tattieweasle said...

It was normally goldfish then the hamster and then the dogs - we have a beautiful area in Yorkshire that we with our macarbre sense of humour call Corpse Copse. It has a stream and a bench to sit on when the sun shines ans even whenit does not and all our pets are there including others from teh village. I was 24 before I faced a death in the family and I'm glad my parents protected me!

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences for your very sad loss and I hope little sweetheart is okay. She is very clever for thinking about digging up the hamster though. I always wonder what happens to dead bodies but in a more morbid way!!

Love Crystal xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Oh Suffolkmum - I do sympathise about the hamster, especially having averted the dreadful day re. The Boy's guinea pigs with a very expensive operation that was probably against my better judgement, and we'll only have to deal with again another day.

Thank heavens R is ok - but a pain about the car.

Loved many of your books - Le Grand Meaulnes has been one of my faves since painfully ploughing through it in sixth form. It's so atmospheric - all that adolescent longing and tristesse.

Don't worry about moaning - we all need to do it once in a while and your blogs are always a pleasure to read, whether moaning or not.

LBD xx

Pondside said...

We won't ever forget when our (then) 7 year old son's turtles died. The funeral was a model for all other pet funerals to come - and there have been a few since then. You know, it doesn't get any easier with kids and pet deaths - still hard when the kids are adults!

Pipany said...

Agreee with almost all your books,Suffolkmum but I think we've had that discussion before! So sorry you are having such a crappy time; it seems quite a few of us are going through it one way or another at the moment. Glad to see the back of this wek and desperately hoping for the return of positivity next xx

@themill said...

'Alert to a nice turn of phrase'..That you most certainly are. Lovely blog, as always.

Frog in the Field said...

poor Suffolk Mum,
I can keep my temper through all sorts and then it's the little things that make me lose it, it creeps up on you with exhaustion I think.
Love the book list, we share a few favourites and you've got some I'd forgotten about

Frog in the Field said...

poor Suffolk Mum,
I can keep my temper through all sorts and then it's the little things that make me lose it, it creeps up on you with exhaustion I think.
Love the book list, we share a few favourites and you've got some I'd forgotten about

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I'm sorry for the hamster, and your poor boy having to find it...
Losing your temper is de rigeur sometimes i think, there will be a squillion other times when you don't.
Your girlie sounds feisty!
Pigx

Cait O'Connor said...

Just catching up and I hope that the new week will bring for you all a realignment of the planets and happier days.

Loved the books, I will try the Margaret Atwood. I have a poetry book by her at the moment (The Door), she is a great poet.

Posie said...

Brought back memories of all of the hamsters I lost in childhood, lovely send off for your children's pet.When my mum was little she actually did dig up her pet tortoise ages after the burial!!!

CAMILLA said...

Hello SM, Oh poor Hamster, and felt so sorry for your daughter. It is so sad when Pets pass on, and children get so attached to them.

Love Grey Rabbit, and have many books by Margaret Atwood. Hope that life feels better for you soon SM, and that your husband is doing alright after his accident.

Camilla.xx

muddyboots said...

you know, l had forgotten all about the owl service. great fan of little grey rabbit too. fuzzypeg was my favourite!

Jan said...

Years ago, we had an elegant black cat called Claude; he was run over on Xmas Eve.
We missed him SO much that Xmas.
MOG books are brilliant, aren't they? Both story and superb illustrations..
Your book list was great; thanks for that!
As a child, I read a marvellous story about Anna Pavlova; I must've read it every month between aged 10 and 11 ( or thereabouts! )
Cant remember what it was called/who wrote it, so if anyone can help, I'd love to know!
Am just about ready to read it again...

Maddy said...

I love Margaret Attwood too.
Best wishes

Suffolkmum said...

Hello Mcewen. Glad to find another Atwood fan! Thanks for reading.

The Fairy Godmother said...

Lovely list of books. Horrible for us all when children lose a beloved pet, personally I think that jsut as you will be replacing the car you should replace the hamster. But that is just the way I would do it.

Suffolkmum said...

Hi Fairy Godmother. What a lovely name you have. I think you're probably right.

annakarenin said...

Caught the bit that you needed a new car in the common room but didn't realise how serious the why was. What a relief that he's okay.
Alec found it hard when our cat Bozo died but seems okay now we have Lily. Thomas on the other hand really struggles with the fact that we lost one of our setters a couple of years back(think she was stolen). Every so often it comes up, recently in fact when we talking about Christianity, he says he can't understand why God won't answer his only prayer, which is to have her back. Bit of a tough one that. I tried to convince him she was living happily somewhere now and it would be cruel for her to come back to us but it doesn't help him I think.

Livvy U. said...

The winds will change, and all shall be well again...

Until then, list-making is one of the very, very best salves I know.

Hope the hamster heavens smile upon you again soon.
Livvy

Maggie Christie said...

I'm just catching up on blogs, so I'm late to this one!

It is so difficult with little ones and learning about life and death. I know what you mean too about fending off little questions while pole-axed with grief. When my beloved horse died recently Rosie was two and Hannah was four. Hannah accepted it quite well, but Rosie kept asking where the horse was, how, why etc, followed by "Why is mummy crying?" I think I should have had a hamster instead! Much simpler.

I loved your list of books. Very impressive!

And poor car getting wrapped around the tree (I'm relived to hear your husband was okay). Now it wasn't the CR-V was it?

Elsie Button said...

I was sure i left a comment on here ages ago, and it's disappeared. you haven't posted for a long time, hope everything ok.