Thursday 3 May 2007

3 May

“It’s like England was 50 years ago.” This is a phrase often used these days to describe our rural idylls, to justify our life-changes, the relocations and ruptures and new starts and beginning-all-overs. You here it said about all those counties on the margins of being fashionable, and sometimes it’s even said about those chi-chi little places that have in reality changed beyond all recognition. It’s said about France, about Ireland, Scotland, Wales, New Zealand. I have no quarrel with the phrase, I’ve used it myself. There IS something quintessentially 1950’s-ish about East Anglia. The trouble is though is that when someone trots it out, I’m never altogether sure what they mean. It’s one of those phrases open to endless meaning and endless interpretation. I have stood in paralysing discomfiture listening to one person rant about the lack of immigrants fifty years ago, or another nod with satisfaction at the memory of the all-white southern English faces around him. I have raised a quizzical eyebrow or stole a surreptitious glance at R when someone has launched into a diatribe about how the summers were hotter then (are you sure about that?), or a reminiscence about the total lack of crime. To some people, fifty years ago means a perpetual rendition of Knees Up Mother Brown in the pub and communal meals on a crime-free (and ethnically pure) village green. I think the majority of us who use the term, however, speak from a broadly similar place; we look back to a slower, calmer way of life, one where we can live simply but live well, hopefully losing some of frenetic elements of two fast-paced careers that are required just to finance a shoe-cupboard in an urban sprawl. We welcome a sense of community, a sense of belonging, a sense of living more closely with nature. Whether or not that time ever actually existed is immaterial; nostalgia is rarely fuelled by facts, after all, but by feelings.

I am all for nostalgia, and all for a slower pace of life, but I am relentlessly twenty-first century with regard to my food and my clothes. I don’t want ‘gastro’ in my local pub necessarily, any more than I want asian-fusion from the local Chinese; I’m rarely happier than when faced with a simple ploughmans or a plate of ham egg and chips. Neither am I a fashionista any more (if I ever was) – I was still in my bootcuts long after the yummy mummies had progressed to skinny fits and boy jeans. But I am grateful that we don’t have to buy olive oil from the chemists any more, and I like a restaurant to give a passing nod to parmesan that doesn’t come in a plastic container, just as I like to know I can get a linen shirt or a pair of kitten heels within a fifty-mile radius, if the mood takes me. One of our neighbours, a man possessed of a quavering voice and a stooping gait, but possessed also of a steely determination to get his point across, blithely ignoring whether or not you have the time to listen, once advised my husband on where he should buy his clothes. We visited the shop once, on a whim when we were in town, and immediately recognised that it was one of those places that either makes you want to laugh, or depresses you, depending on your mood. It did both to me; I giggled at it’s total lack of style and total lack of any stock that you would want to buy, but something about it’s musty interior, the piles of polyester trousers and grey plastic slip-on shoes made me sad too. I’m not being a snob, far from it – the stuff wasn’t even particularly cheap. It was just redolent of an earlier, shabbier time – no retro finds here. It made the Grace Brothers store in ‘Are You Being Served?’ look like the Conran shop.

Our local town is set for development and we will shortly be the recipients of a brand new retail development. Despite the instinctive flutter of excitement as I think about lovely posh shops, I have no doubt the costs will spiral out of control and we will be left with one of those windswept and soulless malls that sit so uncomfortably in the English countryside. The store I mentioned above is set for closure, no doubt along with many other high street shops. Suddenly, I want it to be fifty years ago.

30 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

i think you are right that it is the slower pace we all want, not the parochialism and the rubbish food and the drabness of life for many.
thanks for your kind comments on mine, no not had scan yet. next week, let it wait till it suits me (minor attack of awkwardness)

Faith said...

Anything with 50 in makes me shudder as big birthday coming up soon. Interesting blog. I now have that slower pace of life..... when I look back to say 40 years ago when I was 10, then I think the way we benefitted most was the fact that television was only a very small part of kids' lives, computers none at all, and we played out, interacting with each other, and it was more fun than kids seem to have nowadays.

Faith said...

Anything with 50 in makes me shudder as big birthday coming up soon. Interesting blog. I now have that slower pace of life..... when I look back to say 40 years ago when I was 10, then I think the way we benefitted most was the fact that television was only a very small part of kids' lives, computers none at all, and we played out, interacting with each other, and it was more fun than kids seem to have nowadays.

Sally Townsend said...

Funny SuffolkMum how we both share a love of Bridport, small world ?

Chris Stovell said...

I really enjoyed reading this. I sometimes want it both ways, like when I have to travel 30 miles for something, but on the other hand once we've lost these quaint old shops that's it.

Inthemud said...

Living 50 yrs ago was aslower pace of life and I know what you mean about E Anglia, Aldburgh is like stepping back in the past isn't it, and I love it there . But development comes to all these places in time, such a shame!

toady said...

It's a shame we can't have it both ways. I just want to shout sometimes to slow down. Toady

countrymousie said...

Fifty years ago means no electric,no inside running water,no flushing loo, mangles and hard domestic chores - certainly here in this village and where I was born. I know what you mean - S.Ireland I find is like stepping back in time, but with the modern essentials. I sort of want both. Great blog again. Promotional or competitive, I cant decide!!!!! love mousie

Bluestocking Mum said...

Really interesting. I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes wonder what it would have been like and quite fancy being even 100-200 years ago!

I would give anything for slower pace of life.

warm wishes
xx

Woozle1967 said...

So well put, as ever. You always sum it up "just right"!!xx

Exmoorjane said...

Ah it's hard isn't it? I want the best of both worlds and yet know it's not possible.....
Darn it, we are going to Northumberland earlier - end of July I think.....I would have LOVED to have met you.....what could possibly be nicer than meeting purplecoo people?!
Adrian adores your part of the world - he lived in Cambridge for quite a number of years and adores that whole Eastern swathe of countryside (I love bits but can't cope with the SIberian winds).
jx

Pipany said...

Hello suffolkmum. I think the others have summed it all up - best of both worlds is perhaps what we are after. I like the idea of the past, but it has to be My version of it! Thank you for the lovely comments - what you wrote of Katherine refusing lifts made me wince; it is sooo what Lauren does! xx

Pipany said...

I am a numbskull, Suffolkmum! It was Elizabethm's daughter who is Katherine!! Obviously losing the plot now -Sorry! xx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

We have a "Grace Bros" in our local town, and I was thrilled to notice a fondue set in the window last week (sadly not at the seventies price of 7 and 6, though!). I have to say, I quite like the old-fashionedness of our neck of the woods. If people want something modern, they can go to Bristol or Bath. Mind you, I shouldn't imagine there's much call for polyester trousers, even here.

Pondside said...

Funny - Victoria is always referred to as "English". People said that for years, because of the relative isolation, it lay in a time warp - 1950's England. We've had a boom here and Victoria still has its quaint bits, but it is more and more North American with Big Box stores and highways. Like you, I enjoy the things that enrich my life, but I have concerns about what we have lost.

Kitty said...

COmpletely agree - what we actualy want is lots of little local shops selling exactly what we want at reasonable prices without them having to pay huge rents and rates on the high street that only the chains can afford. I hate malls and shops that get the chrome and blonde wood makeover. But, needs must sometimes.

Inthemud said...

Thanks for your message, yes, I know what you mean, when i met and married Stan, there was never quite that intensity and whilst we have a good solid marriage I've never felt for him what i felt for sam. But then again I couldn't cope with being hurt again , even if it was of my own doing, and Stan worships me, so that can't be bad, he's jsut hopeless in the housework dept!

Eden said...

yes, I know exactly. It's part of what I love best about East Anglia. but our neck of the woods is changing soo fast. I feel very ambivalent about the changes.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Certianly for us it is here as England was 50 years ago, quiet, family orieintated neighbours trusting each other adn helping others. Respect for Elders acceptance of CHildren...also economic depressiona and much poverty of course, people forget that!

I think what people really mean is they hope it is like enid blyghton et al led us to believe lifeshould be like.

Fennie said...

Yes, indeed. I love East Anglia. Did I tell you we bought our first house - a ramshackle cottage - for £9,000 (can you believe it) in Great Waltham, north of Chelsmsford? Everything then was on a much smaller scale - a butcher in the village, a real grocer and a baker who delivered bread in a wicker basket. But all that is swept away now and Un Peu is right. Which is why so many of us have ended up in France. We know only how to value money I fear - and not how to value quality of life.

Jane said...

I am always slightly amused by the 1950s nostalgia which seems to grip my generation (mid 30s).

The plethora of repro enamel biscuit tins and "vintage" pegbags cater for these "home makers". I think it is a 1950s America that they are looking at.

I wouldn't have wanted to be a wife and mother in the 1950s with no decent washing machine and a much higher expectation of clean house.

I am glad that I am of a generation where I can read a book if I want to rather than dust the skirting boards without any raising of eyebrows.

I like the fact that I can pick and chose what I want to do. I like maiing soup and baking, I love gardening, I hate ironing and detest scrubbing floors.

But I'm all in favour of a slower pace of life - it always shocks me how people seem to rush about in the South!

Scotland seems to get slower the further North you get. We are somewhere in the middle. Move to Thurso - now I'm sure that IS somewhere out of the 1950s.

J
x

Cait O'Connor said...

Lovely blog. I agree with you.

I don't think I know Joni Mitchell's Blue by the way, I will try and find it. Four of your favourite films are mine too, Local Hero (love the music as well),Railway Children, Field of Dreams and Brief Encounter.
I have just enjoyed an evening of Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam on BBC4, very soothing that was.
Thanks for your kind words,
Caitx

@themill said...

I think we all have rose tinted specs when it comes to the past. Lovely blog.
And the 1950's enamel stuff that is so de rigeur now? I'm still using the original, inherited from my mother!

@themill said...

BTW when are you in Northumberland?

Posie said...

Just catching up, I have been busy in the sun the past few days so have missed reading everyone's blogs. Could really relate to your shop blog, we have some lovely shops here.

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

We all suffer from progress - but is it always in the right direction and do we want it and is there any choice. I loved being a kid and where I grew up - but I was a kid . . . . Even where I live I wish the pace of life was slower, but how much of that is my own fault. Lovely lovely blog - really enjoyed reading it.

muddyboots said...

l have just caught up with your blog, slower pace.. certainly life was a good deal slower even 10 years ago, but so many people now live miles from their place of work, cars start passing the farm from 6 am. We are still a good 45 mins drive from any large town or city so l use modern technology for many things, the internet is a life line for modern clothes, travel, business. It' a pain to have to get into the car to go everywhere, just seems to be so many people about today, then there's farming & how that has changed beyond recognision, but that as they say is another story..

Holy Way said...

I agree with Faith - we played out all summer long, and it never seemed to rain( bit like now actually!)
I bought edible woman and loved it too!

jackofall said...

Great blog, well said. Yet another loss to the Country Living columnist ranks.

Good to see you got your avatar up.

Chris Stovell said...

Aw shucks! Thank you, you are very kind.