Tuesday 8 May 2007

8th May

Sunday was a mellow day, filled with friends and family, food and drink (too much of both), fires and sunsets. It was the seventh birthday of the daughter of some good friends, and they always manage to combine a child’s party for her with a grown-up party, and like all the occasions which mark their children’s births (they have four), it has become a fixture in our calendar. The girl’s mother, my friend, is one of those really extraordinary cooks who finds it soothing to whip up a dinner for 24 or, as on this occasion, feed about a dozen children and about fourteen adults simultaneously - different menus, moreover. They have a tiny brick and flint Victorian cottage, which looks like something out of Beatrix Potter and has no room to swing a cat, but which does have a large and astonishing garden. The predicted torrents didn’t arrive, so we glued ourselves to garden chairs and just, well, ate. Red lentil and goats cheese puree to start us off, followed by the most gorgeous ham with mango salsa, roast potatoes, salad, fantastic spicy coleslaw. The best apple and almond cake I’ve ever tasted with lashings of jersey cream. The poor children had to make do with hot dogs and pizza, chocolate birthday cake followed by more and more chocolate as the day progressed, but they bore up well. Reading over this, I know it sounds so middle-class country, so perfect, so Cath Kidston, all the things that we know aren’t true about real country living. But sometimes, just sometimes, it really is like that. Only fleetingly, of course, and always punctuated by small irritations - the child who gets stung by one of the first bees of the season (mine), the child who sobs uncontrollably at losing musical statues (mine again), the one who stripped naked and fell into a pile of nettles (at last, not mine). Nothing’s ever really glamorous, is it, when you know the hidden stories; the financial problems, the almost-break-ups, the health worries. There was plenty of baggage, as there is at every social occasion, all safely stacked up somewhere out of sight, but always there to trip you up should you stumble upon it by accident. For once I didn’t stumble, nor did anyone else; we just laughed and ate and lazily watched the children through a haze of wine and cake and sun.

We staggered home, replete and contented, and built a campfire in the garden, down by the stream. The children were up late, but were unusually calm after a frenetic day, and we were all mesmerised by the flames and the quiet, broken only by the evening songs of the birds and the crackle and hiss of the fire. K was particularly tranquil; she has come through a bit of a rough patch, lately. It’s a funny expression, that, it makes me think of the rough patch in the garden, all thorns and spikes, so maybe it’s apt, after all. Storms and dramas have always been meat and drink to my feisty and determined girl at the best of times, without the added complications of being almost four. It’s funny how you know it’s just a phase, how you’ve seen your elder ones come through similar times, and yet when you’re in the thick of it you can’t see the daylight. One of those little developmental milestones swooped down on her, however, and the roses and the sweet-scented things are peeping out now.

I’ve always loved twilight, and have always been glad that I don’t live in one of those tropical places where the darkness descends in a heartbeat. We sat in the gloaming, wrapped up warm, and watched the moths and heard a frog croak. Yet I still always miss that moment when dusk turns to proper darkness – it still catches me unawares, and surprises me every time. Bed called, along with the owls.

28 comments:

Blossomcottage said...

You and your family look beautiful, you will one day be so glad that you have written down your thoughts and adventures, keep them in a safe place and one day have them bound into a book for your children and grandchildren they will treasure every word, I am doing just that now for mine much later than you but at least I am doing it.
Blossom

Tattieweasle said...

Living in the country is like living among roses it has thorns too but it doesn't make the roses less beautiful!
In reply to your lovely comment about the San re West Suffolk - both boys were born in Ipswich. We live equidistant between the two towns - great for choice crap for convenience!

toady said...

Sounds like a lovely day and the food scrummy. Well done on getting the photos up, they're lovely and you only look about 15. Toady

Inthemud said...

What a lovely day!
I too like that moment of dusk just before it gets dark, it doesn't last long, if I'm lucky as I look out of my bedroom window at that time I will catch the Barn Owlas he starts to hunt over the meadow, beautiful sight!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I loved this - these days do happen and everything goes well and in memory they have a gold edge around them. Love your photos and the hare on your profile. How did you do that? I am just about to try to transfer my blogs over before they disappear into the ether somewhere.

countrymousie said...

What a lovely family you have and look at glam suffolk mum you. I too have a friend who whips up a frenzy for millions, I live in awe of her. I get in a tiz over four believe me. Did nothing but cook for the 5 thousand all weekend so collapsed in a heap today - well, with cif and bleach in hand as I blitz the house. lovely blog as usual. love mousie on the other side of Suffolk - no snow here though!!!!!!!!!!!

snailbeachshepherdess said...

What a lovely day - one to wrap in tissue and keep in a box of lovely memories..
loved the pictures

Exmoorjane said...

Oh SM< another beautiful blog....and what a treat to have the photos so I can now see you all.... You are totally gorgeous! I had you with much shorter hair, isn't it funny? One of those smart wedgy bobs.
And yes, sometimes the days ARE just perfect and how wonderful it is that they are....it's those memories that see us through when it does get tough.
Glad someone knew that cafe in Appledore! It is fab, isn't it? What a lovely place to spend a holiday....A and I often say it would be the ideal place as a writer's retreat.....
janexx
PS - love your avatar! I still haven't worked out that bit and wouldn't even know where to begin to choose one! Let alone how to get it to pop up all the time.

Eden said...

Another beautiful blog suffolkmum, love hearing about your gorgeous daughter, the roses and thistles of her life and yours. The Cath Kidston moments are just a valuable as the muddy booted ones, and you are good at living and writing both.

Cait O'Connor said...

What a lovely blog describing a perfect day. I agree these memories must be kept for your children and future grandchildren to savour. Loved the idea of the riverside fire.
Nice to put a (beautiful) face to your name.
Caitx

Milla said...

Oh Suffolk, how beautiful you are! I had you as more wholesome looking (not meant to sound rude!) because you are so thoughtful and poetic I assumed the pay-off would be a more rural look. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

muddyboots said...

what a lovely day you've had & especially lucky with the weather. nice pics too!

Bluestocking Mum said...

How gorgeous are you!! So lovely to put a face to you-didn't realise you would be SUCH a babe!

And your lovely family, are gorgeous too. I always love reading your blogs SM. Know just what you mean about it not really being all perfect and Cath Kidston-funny how people see your life sometimes. But your day sounded pretty wonderful!!+ Agree with Blossom-you must keep these blogs and make journals for the family.

Warm wishes
xx

Chris Stovell said...

That's a great blog. I do share that sense of being aware of what lies beneath the surface or what may be round the corner but it's just part of the human condition. The photos are lovely... I'm going to have to do something about getting to grips with the frills.

DevonLife said...

Yes SM I had you with dark curly bobbed hair, with glasses. Not looking like a blonde Angelina Jolie. My god woman.

Lovely blog as always, there's nothing wrong with a bit of middle class, Cath Kidston comfort you know. Everyone knows the perfect bits are always sandwiched between the, mmm, normal ones.

Fennie said...

The country is always perfect; it's just our attitude to bits of it that isn't always 'perfect.'

Really beautiful blog, beautiful pics and beautiful and glammy you!
You can be Carnival Queen next time Purple Combe lets its hair down. Best wishes Fenniexx

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

I hate cooking and am in total awe of anyone who can keep calm and even enjoy cooking for more than four people. Your rough patches had me thinking about nature in general and life. Nature can be very cruel and yet it is amazing and beautiful too - life is so often like that. And yes you are gorgeous 10000 lines just because I am 52 and you aren't!!!!!

CAMILLA said...

What a truly wonderful blog, you all look GORGEOUS. Sorry SM, but I had you down as having a short crop, how wrong I was. It is strange how we seem to picture others in our mind. Love cooking, but not usually on a grand scale, panic would set in I'm afraid.
Do you live anywhere near Woodbridge?
Warm Wishes.
Camilla.x

Carah Boden said...

Now I've seen you I've know idea how I imagined you - just like seeing the film after you've read the book! Very brave to post a picture - but not when you're gorgeous glam like that! Actually, like the frown. Adds a touch of reality! Like, 'Jeez, do you have to take a picture with me looking into the sun??!'
Lovely blog as ever. My Italian friend throws parties like that for her boys' birthdays - and so agree re the hidden baggage. Sometimes falls down off the luggage rack and hits you on the head, sometimes stays in its place. Also agree re twilight and those ghastly tropical places that whisk you into night before you've said goodbye to day. My L had a 'rough patch' in Jan/Feb this year. As you say, hard to see the end of it when it's happening - but once it's gone, you can barely remember it.

Sally Townsend said...

Some shrewd observations on life Suffolk Mum. Lovely.

Pipany said...

Oh aren't you lovely! It's so nice to be able to put a face to your blogs. And the children are sweet too. Suffolkmum, I completely agree with you about the country life thing - it IS perfect sometimes, even eith the mishaps. Perhaps they are what make them so perfect, providing a contrast to the rest? The twilight is my favourite time too and we love to sit arounf the campfire listening to the birds sing their way to sleep. It sounded a wonderful weekend xx

Jane said...

Oh I am going to have to go and completely photoshop my blog photo now! Probably better swap it for someone else's!

I always feel uncomfortable about writing about those middle-class Kidston/Blytonesque times too. But they do happen - even if they are immediately followed by a winge to watch t.v. or eat fab lollies.

I had my garden in CL mag ages ago and in their photos it doesn't look anything like my garden (and the photos of me didn't look anything like me) and I am constantly aware of that "but I expected you to be taller, more kempt, less weed ridden" reaction in visitors. The magazine had made me into a Kidstony vision which could only be held for the click of a shutter.

J
x

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Another lovely blog, Suffolkmum. Really enjoyed your wonderful descriptions and hints of hidden baggage to stumble upon - so true. And your pictures of course are stunning.

Posie said...

Fabulous blog, just love moments like that, your day sounded fantastic. Lovely pictures too.

Kitty said...

Look at you - and your children - how lovely (word of the day) I'm loving everyone's photos as I'm rubbish at putting mental pictures to people. Your Sunday sounds great - sometimes life is just like that and we've all been accused on and off of glorifying exactly that Boden/Kidston/Bridgewater lifestyle, but if it happens, and it so often does to me too - it's our life and we are at liberty to write about it. And thank goodness for that.

Anonymous said...

Glorious blog, memories of golden days are the most wonderful gift we can get from life.

@themill said...

Lovely blog and you look about 12!
You'll out yummy all the wannabe yummy mummies at Beadnell. Will be in touch before then re meeting up. Shame you're not here the same time as EJ
Re the Kidstonesque - days like that are what constitutes true wealth.

Grouse said...

I never thought I was a purple lover but my garden is all blues and lavenders and purples and white. I keep putting in pinks but then rip them back out and give them away!!!