Friday 11 May 2007




Ode to Purple
11 May

It’s one of the regrets of my life that I’m rubbish at art. I’ve never been able to draw a thing, and still remember the shame of art lessons at school, still at the stage of drawing stick people while everyone else was producing a still life worthy of Van Gogh. What is particularly irritating is that many people in my family, on my father’s side at least, have the gene. Two cousins went to art school, and both my Dad and Uncle are accomplished amateur painters. Sadly, neither my sister nor I have the eye. It must be about the way you look at things, I guess, as much as the ability to send messages from your eyes to your hand. R is a pretty good draughtsman, and when he looks at things, he sees them in relation to everything else. He sees shapes and forms, structures and geometry. I just see colour, and am often really disappointed when it has to be pointed out to me that an idea I’ve had for the house wouldn’t work, that the dimensions or all wrong, or something similar. Interestingly my passion for gardening is helping with this; I’m starting to see the need for structure, that a swathe of colour needs bare bones behind it. And yet, like most people, it will always be colour that pulls me into the garden. I can’t do minimalist inside, either; our house has lots of strong colours in it, and lots of bright fabrics, and, let’s be honest, lots of mess. I can go into someone else’s house and feel soothed by their off-whites and beiges, but it doesn’t seem to suit me when I try it myself. R is often intrigued by my instinctive preference for dark, masculine colours, and often I have to be reminded to soften things up, to lighten them. I don’t why that should be, since I love dusky pinks, misty blues and sea greens – aquamarine being my favourite colour. But in art I usually find myself drawn to midnight blues and inky violets, and walls of sheer, rich pigments.
I’m constantly amazed by the ingenuity of nature, how with even the most casual planning the colours come together and rarely clash, unless you intrude too much in an effort to stamp your own schemes on the natural world. Being inherently lazy, I’m often happy to just see what happens, and am rarely disappointed. The synchronicity has been a little bit out this year, the hellebores nodding shyly to the roses, the plants startled by the dryness. Yet suddenly, in the flash of an eye, my garden is all about purple. Only a few weeks ago it was all green; so many different shades, so much depth. Then the green was broken up by deep red tulips and early forget-me-nots. But now the alliums have taken over from the tulips, the lavender is out, my lovely deep blue geranium is breaking out beneath the fragrant, heavy lilac, and the sage is about to show off its lovely purple flower heads. Purple brings to my garden its echoes of royalty, nobility and spirituality. All this symbolism makes it important and mysterious – psychedelic purple, deep purple, gracious purple, proud purple (I hope my prose isn’t getting too purple). It seems you can’t explore anything arcane or magical without tripping over purple. I recently learned, (courtesy of an evening out with a telescope which I blogged about a few weeks ago), that one of the pleiades, my favourite constellation, is known as purple pleione, because she has a purple hue. I see her as Queen of her little group of stars, now. My gardening books inform me that purple has both warm and cool properties, which is why, presumably, for a short burst in spring, my garden can look tasteful and decorous, before my love of warm and earthy tones sets in for midsummer. I was gazing out of the window, open mouthed, as usual (never a good look) when my daughter appeared clutching a picture she’d just drawn of me. I tried to ignore the huge gaping mouth she’d given me, the short stumpy legs and enormous feet, and concentrated instead on the wild cloud of hair that she’d taken ages over, blithely disregarding the fact that my hair is straight and blondish. In her picture, it was, of course, purple.

30 comments:

countrymousie said...

Lovely blog again - and purple is just so "now" dont you think and so suits you. I am married to a draughtsman as it were - an Architect - and he can wizz up a drawing on the back of a fab packet (he doesnt smoke) and frequently does. Surrounded by Artists here - John Constables relatives live nearby and I collect modern art when I can. I used to be quite good but somehow never seem to have the time now. Your writing is very good and creative I reckon you do have the gene, just havent found the right channel in art yet.

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are terrific; your observation is acute, and you bring us, the reader, along with you. thoroughly enjoy your blogs. With you on the whites and beiges...love my clutter and love my colours [soft yellows and a lovely lavender in the bedroom].

@themill said...

Lovely blog. Tulips still blooming here, no sign of lavender and now plunged back into the depths of winter. I'm totally with you on the natural colour selection thing. Life is too short not to allow mother nature to ramp around the garden. But I'm inherently lazy too! Minimalism. I love the idea of it, but just couldn't live with it. The holiday cottage is very minimalist and I love tarting it up on Saturdays for the next guests, but know that if I were ever to move in it would be cluttered within an inch of it's life within a week!

Elizabethd said...

Lovely description. Thank you.

Chris Stovell said...

I bet you're not rubbish at art, just being critical of self in a family with artist. Your blog always looks ravishing as well as being a pleasure to read so pleanty of creativity there.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Howcan yo possibly think you are not artisitc when your blog is so beautiful and the photos....superb!

toady said...

Like you both my brothers have got an artistic talent but it has frustratingly bypassed me. I've tried watercolour, oils, acrylics, drawing - rubbish at all of them. I think a lot of gardeners are frustrated artists and it's so satisfying when you get it just right.

Bluestocking Mum said...

Even if you can't draw/paint you are 'artistic' Your gift is words...and the pictures they paint in my mind.

Lovely blog.

warm wishes
xx

Inthemud said...

Great observations, lovely blog. Like the photos.

To move them you have to right click and drag, left click

muddyboots said...

artistic, well your pictures look fab. What's artistic about damian hurst? Great blog & puple is just sooo now don't you think?

lixtroll said...

Oh definitely purple is the colour to be! And tish tosh to the artistic thing, your photos and beautiful writing and your garden speak volumes on that account - there's a lot more to art than just drawing and painting.

Do you know you are the only blogger whose pic I have seen who actually looks the way I had imagined!

Inthemud said...

Well done, glad the dragging tip worked!!
Blog looks a treat now!!

Inthemud said...

PS You look so young and lovely in your photo, you look much younger than you say you are!!

What's your secret!???

Faith said...

Oh I don't know what I imagined you looked like but you are so beautiful and young. You look like you could be my daughter. I can't believe you write the way you do and look about 21!!! Aquamarine is my favourite colour too. I wanted an aquamarine engagement ring but we couldnt find one that was right, so got emerald instead. Lovely blog as always.

bodran... said...

I was thinking today how the garden and nature seems to be all blue and purple,and everywhere smells purple??

Tattieweasle said...

Maybe the 'artistic' gene has shot by but the gift of writing certainly hasn't! I've always longed to be able to play a musical instrument but with the attention span of a gnat I was handicapped from the begininng....

Cait O'Connor said...

Glorious blog. We share similar tastes in colour etc. You are obviously artistic, that is apparent just by looking at your blog pages. If you are anything like me, I appreciate art but can't draw, not even stick men!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Loved your blog and your pictures. I think purple is a very spiritual colour - and it goes so well with green. You obviously are artistic - as countrymousie says, your particular channel may not necessarily be in paper and pencil, but in words and photography - both of which you evidently excell in.

PS Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I always enjoy reading yours.

Gretel said...

See, that post just shows that there IS an artist in you - just not the kind who draws. :)

Actually most good drawing is simply the result of doing it day after day after day etc. I have only met one or two people who were brilliant at drawing with little effort - every other illustrator and painter I know (a lot!) has simply put the hours in & produced lots of c...p until they broke through the pain barrier. It can take - in my case - years...

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

I was the same at school with art - can't draw - would love to, but can't . . . .but there are other ways to be artisitic and you write so beautifully. And what is wrong with Purple - it IS the colour and to be where it is, IS the place to be. Purple rocks as they say!

Pondside said...

Not artistic - you? I think we all disagree. Drawing is just one artistic gift and you have others in abundance, as we can see from your blog. Your garden sounds beautiful! Mine is still all about the colour green with a few shy rhodos taking an awfully long time to bloom.

Sally Townsend said...

Heavens I'm on a purple roll today too, well more lavender.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

oh i agree with all these comments about your eye but i do so know what you mean about artistic. i would love to be able to draw and used to get tremendously frustrated by the inability to transfer something from my head to paper. i agree that gardening is a different expression of creativity (and both supremely easy as things just grow and supremely difficult as you are gardening in both space and time). our alliums are up here too.

Stay at home dad said...

Why worry about artistic deficiencies when you can write like this?!

Pipany said...

I have to agree with the others Suffolkmum - your talent is for words, but probably other things as yet untried too. There are so many areas in art, gardening included. Plenty of time yet! xx

Exmoorjane said...

Ah, they've all beaten me to it! I was thinking, as I read, how funny it is that we are never happy with what we've got! You write like an angel yet yearn to paint! Like my James can play football and rugby easy-peasy, let yearns to be good at cricket! Contrary creatures we are....
There IS a lot of purple/pink/mauve around at the moment (in all ways) - Adrian can't tell the difference between any of them which drives me potty.
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on Walker - really means a heck of a lot. C'mon, your turn now - think you should get on with that novel....eh? janexxx

Milla said...

More great stuff, Suffolk. And glad you liked my father's pictures. they're even better in the flesh.

annakarenin said...

My sons appear artistic and neither my husband or I for the life of us can work out where it came from. Your photography is superb definately an artist in you.

Have you ever read the book Astonishing Splashes of Colour,the heroine thinks in colour, I thought it rather strange until my Mother in Law said she does too, she sees certain people as being a certain colour.

Jane said...

I'm glad that everyone seems to like purple. My garden is also completely purple and green and white - suffragette colours.
I hope that subcription customers feel the same,
Lovely post
J
x

Ska, not a good mother but working on it said...

lovely post. Beautiful description of your garden - if only mine was as lovely, everything is bedraggled by the rain! Don't forget art is in the eye of the beholder