Saturday 28 April 2007

26 April

Had a shouty phone conversation with my Grandmother yesterday. Not shouty in an aggressive sense, I hasten to add, but because she’s a little hard of hearing, which is only to be expected, I guess, at the age of 94. Still full of vigour, her days still filled with living, she is missing having her family around her.

To me, her life has been a series of triumphs; hugely bright, but limited by being born into a large family of few means in the North-East, she has lived a full and enterprising life. She set up her own dressmaking business while raising a family, taught herself to both swim and drive in her fifties, travelled alone to Australia in her sixties. I worry that sometimes, in what must be the last slow years of her life, a life now constricted and narrowed by age, that she may see her life as series of losses – she has after all outlived three husbands, three younger siblings, and one son. Such an influential and dominant figure in my life, in recent years I think she has secretly dwelt with the long departed, despite her mental acuity. Her memories quite naturally grope back towards those people in their sepia tints and strange hats, posing unsmilingly for the camera. Those people who flitted vaguely in and out of my childhood, shadowy forms called Bobby and Billy and Jackie, Doris and Evie and Elsie, are more real to her now perhaps than me. How ironic it is, that we have such little interest in family history when we’re growing up; I could never think what to say to these people at the edge of my family circle when I was growing up, teenage awkwardness and constraint robbing me of my voice – now I yearn for the chance to sit them down and chat.

My parents and I tend to laugh when she says she’s lonely – it’s a family joke that she still has a better social life than any of us, a constant stream of people in and out of the house where she still lives independently – but of course she is. Our extended family has been fractured, like so many families, by distance and opportunity. I read some chatroom comments recently (you know where) about second homes, and, without wishing to relive the whole debate, there was one comment which really stood out for me. You have no birthright to live in the place you were brought up, said this commentator (a second home owner, natch), you have to earn the right to live there. I instinctively disagreed with that, as soon as I read it. No, perhaps you don’t have a right over and above anyone else; but you should at least expect a level playing field, the opportunity to stay put, if you so wish. Family disintegration doesn’t do society much good. My own family is no different to millions of others, our history a tale of small-scale emigration and disruption. My parents left the north-east for the south-east and better opportunities, which they found. Much further back, my ancestors came over from Ireland to Newcastle as a result of the potato famine. R and I, whilst suffering no deprivation and thinking that we had the world at our feet, were still priced out of the south-east where we’d grown up (admittedly, we moved for other reasons too, but who knows, if the large family house in Hampstead had been affordable ….!). No doubt my children will have to leave Suffolk, if house prices – from which we’ve benefited, perhaps to the detriment of some local family - continue to rise. Always moving on, in search of the promised land; sometimes we find it, sometimes we don’t. But how we still mourn for our roots, for that sense of belonging, for our history, for our local land. My grandmother is proud of all her family, those still close to home and those scattered across the globe. But I bet there are days when she wishes we were all living 100 years ago, all in the same street.

I just had a thought; my Grandad wore a flat cap and had a funny accent. How marvellous – I could dash off an amusing little piece about a quaint country character like him; I’m sure he even knew what to do about moles. I might even win something! (Sorry, couldn’t resist).

7 comments:

@themill said...

Catching up on several blogs at once. Just can't get to read everyone everyday. I love the bit about your Grandmother secretly dwelling with the gone - when my Granny was 92, really fit and totally compus mentus, she demanded that my father call a doctor and put her to sleep! Said she'd had her time and was ready to join those who had gone before! She was terribly indignant when it was explained that it would be illegal and got very,'Well, it's my choice' about it. She was never the same after that. She just withered over the following couple of years, as though she really didn't want to be here any longer.

And I did have a grandfather who wore a flat cap and raced pigeons! A Durham miner and a beautiful singer. He taught me all the old Tyneside folk songs. 'The Neighbours doon belaa' was my absolute favourite. Nearly 50 years ago, but I remember it as if it was yesterday!
And why have you got no comments? I have you linked to my blog!!

Milla said...

this is odd - I left a comment on this yesterday, and it's not here! And surely you should have loads, not just one (albeit one nice long one). So what's gone on. Can't remember what I said, but bound to have been wise and wonderful. Goes with the territory!

Suffolkmum said...

Just in case anyone else pops in here (presumptuous, I know, but just in case you're confused like Milla) and finds thir previous comments gone - they haven't vanished. It's just that I transferred my old blogs into this archive, and then my most recent purplecoo ones went to the back of the class. So I copied and pasted them to the front, to keep the order right, but lost the comments. They're floating somewhere ...

Suffolkmum said...

Lovely blog Suffolkmum, my Gran lived to 89 and she lived in the past, but quite happily. Toady

26 April 2007 11:35
Faith said...
Very interesting blog. My mum is 91 so catching up with your grandma.

26 April 2007 11:46
Inthemud said...
I know what you mean about your Grandmother and wishing you'd listened more when you were young to the history, I feel like that about my family, Grandad was always keen to tell us stories and we'd just laugh and run off, but oh how I wish now I'd stopped to hear, my dad tries the same with my children and they do thw same, it's a generational thing.
You don't know what you're missing till it s too late. Glad your GM is still going strong. My mum is deaf and phone calls are such hard work.

26 April 2007 11:59
lixtroll said...
Matron has just popped in to tell you not to worry, the chat room has gone down temporarily owing to an error on Google which is preventing us cleaning out the fosses to make room for new posts!

You can still blog away merrily here on your own page, and to leave comments on all the others.

26 April 2007 12:58
Fennie said...
Lovely piece. But you know if the price of caves hadn't risen in Ethiopia, or wherever it was we originated from and seven of us (yes, apparently all the world's population outside Africa is descended from just 7 women according to studies of miochondrial DNA) then we should still be there and lovely Suffolk would be forest or maybe prairie without an Aged Person in sight.

You prompt me to post an Aged Mother story of my own I wrote at little time ago. Best wishes F

26 April 2007 13:03
UN PEU LOUFOQUE said...
I come from a long line of sandy feeted people who travelled the world at times when most others stayed in their own villages.

I love travelling, love new places, desperately want to see what is over the next hill.

At the same time I envy those who have the joy of livng somewhere there family have lived for generations upon gnerations. If that doesn't give hem a right to carry on living there then I don't know what does!

lovely blog as ever SM.

26 April 2007 13:09
elizabethm said...
great blog. my family too are scattered and i lived all over the place. now all our children live in different parts of the country and we would love to have them nearer. what is good is that strong family ties can persist even without physical proximity. Know just what you mean about house prices! if only we could give each of our four 100k all would be well! sadly no chance.

26 April 2007 13:32
countrymousie said...
Lovely lovely blog - I have come to your house for a bit of a lie down after this morning and it was so refreshing and brought back lots of memories about my grandparents. Unfortunately most died quite young and it must be wonderful to have their wisdom as you do now. Look forward to flat cap grandad - have flatcap dad of own. Deaf also - hence he doesnt hear the aircraft - so something to look forward to at least.

26 April 2007 15:22
ChrisH said...
Just whizzed in to say a quick hello before picking up gang (of middle-aged women, not fit young men. Will catch up soon.

26 April 2007 15:50
Milla said...
nice stuff, Suffolk. And, I know, impossible to resist the odd barb! The chatroom You Know Where is full of virtuous goodygoodies at the moment!! Not that I go visiting of course...

26 April 2007 16:24
Exmoorjane said...
Thanks for message.....I had a 'help, can't get in' anywhere moment. Lovely words today (as always).....funny that sense of place.....and a timely reminder that I MUST go and see my mother...
jxxxxxx

26 April 2007 16:40
lampworkbeader said...
You are so lucky to still have a grandparent. I wish I had recorded all my grandparents' and parents' stories while I had the chance. They leave an enormouse space when they are gone.

By the way you must think I am completely mad for the comment about your archive the other evening. I had looked at so many bloggs that I got confused where I was.
Your gran ain't the only one with sepia tints in her mind.

26 April 2007 19:28
LittleBrownDog said...
How wonderful to still have a Grandmother in your 40s (mine both died when I was a child). People of this generation have lived through such an incredible number of changes - I find their stories absolutely fascinating and think older people are very much undervalued in our society that prizes youth. Lovely blog, Suffolkmum.

26 April 2007 21:32
RuthF said...
Really great Blog SuffolkMum. Set me thinking about my own family - this is as good as any piece in any good newspaper or magazine - really do keep it up! XX

26 April 2007 23:11
lixtroll said...
Matron is visiting again with an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The chat-room is experiencing problems with overloading which we think is causing it to be marked as SPAM, which is in effect locking us all out :-

So in the mean time: each day please look out for the post called ANNOUNCE NEW BLOGS HERE and put your announcements in as comments on that post.

This will still leave space for one personal post per person which we can all comment on.

This is purely a temporary measure, we are keen to get the chatroom back to the weird and wonderful way it was going before - we are looking into various options at the moment (by the way, have you noticed that option is an anagram of potion) - WesterWitch! put down that cauldron!

26 April 2007 23:50
Pipany said...
Lovely, Suffolkmum. I wish i had spent more time recording the stories as my memory has become so appalling. I hadn't bargained on that at such a young (!) age!!! xx

27 April 2007 07:40
Her on the Hill said...
Lovely piece SM. I miss my grandparents hugely and wish I had listened more carefully to all their stories. Agree re house prices, fragmentation of families etc. I think it's very important to feel you belong somewhere.

27 April 2007 10:50
KittyB said...
Enjoyed your blog, it's nice catching up, so much seems to have happened and been written in just two days! Wish I'd spent more time with my grandparents, noting down family history and family trees.

27 April 2007 13:45
The Country Craft Angel said...
My nan is 88 now and still going strong!! We call her the 'iron lady'-she is very proud of still having 'all her marbles!'
Mind you she can be a bit too sharp for her own good sometimes-can make her very demanding and difficult!


warm wishes
xx

27 April 2007 15:01
sally's chateau said...
How lovely for you to have your Grandmother to natter to. And why shouldn't you mention whatever you like, wouldn't want to get too Pollyanna would we ? x

27 April 2007 18:20
Posie Rosie said...
Loved hearing about your family, I lost my Gran last summer, she was 89, and my last grandparent, so it brought back lovely memories of the phone calls we used to have when I read your blog. Just you enjoy your Gran, I am sure you do.

27 April 2007 20:56
KittyB said...
You're crackers, not missing out on an in joke, just it's a bi, erm risque, so can't let cat out of bag just yet. But not mucky/smutty risque! before you all think I'm a dgenerate.

Yes, I'm a Caroline, came out on CL at the end and also you've got my email address, so it's on that too. It's an appalling name, sooo middle aged. However, Kitty I am to you all so Kitty I remain (I feel a lot more like a Kitty than a bloomin Caroline.)

27 April 2007 21:42
Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Suffolkmum said...

Oops - just tried cutting and pasting the comments but they all now look as if I've posted them to myself. Never mind, I'll get the hang of this one day.

muddyboots said...

busy catching up. there are many elderly locals who still wear flat caps & race pidgeons thouh we aren't as far north. here the accent is not the braod hard yorkshire but a more soft version peppered with norse words an dialect that wont last much longer l would guess.

lixtroll said...

My Granny is also 94, complete with marbles although like yours, a little hard of hearing! She also spends the odd while in the past - I often try and imagine what my past will be like when I relive it in the future (if you get my drift) - the hairy flower powered ones in the park!