Tuesday 24 April 2007

I am marooned of Suffolk today. I haven't ventured out of the house in three days, since youngest has been quite poorly, and I’m starting to get the wild-eyed, unkempt look of a recluse. I always quite fancied the idea of spending my latter years in splendid isolation somewhere, the madwoman on the hill instead of in the attic, perhaps, but actually I now feel I may be better suited to being in the centre of the action somewhere. I’ve been jumping on the phone, and gazing longingly at delivery vans passing by – you never know, even if they’re not for me, someone might want directions. At least the weather is nice (we finally had rain in the early morning, hurrah!) and I keep popping out into the garden with such regularity that the birds have perfected their alarm calls at my approach – you can hear the rooks teaming up with the blue tits in defiance at my continued presence. I hear the call of housework to be done, bills to be paid, Things To Do all over the place, but reason that I can’t really start anything, because I’m bound to be interrupted as soon as I do. My daughter has perfected both the pleading, little, tug-on- the-heartstrings voice and the imperious and relentless commands, and she’ll switch between them according to which she believes will get the best effect. Since my housework avoidance techniques are second to none, (I will truly never be the sort of person who co-ordinates their underwear drawers), I call happily delude myself that a quick flick here, a wipe there, constitutes a good spring clean, and, since I am also bone-tired, sitting in front of the computer once again appears to be the best use of my time. Funny how I am always trying to pull the children away from screens, whilst hunched over the laptop myself. I did promise myself that I would restrict blogging to once or twice a week, so it’s not looking good already.

My mother is coming over for a couple of hours this afternoon, so I can get to the supermarket (oops - hope Chickenix isn’t stalking us). The very idea feels dangerously liberating, I may have a sensory overload (Lights! Noise! People!) and start manically filling the trolley with chocolate, ice-cream and wine. Or talk for slightly too long to the cashier, or start up random and pointless conversations in the car park – something that will mark me out as a little mad, no doubt. I'm getting used to it.

19 comments:

Woozle1967 said...

Wild eyes, messy hair, no make-up - bring it on!! Seriously, we all need some interaction (some, mind you!) so that we can scuttle off to our little worlds again with a sigh of relief. The skills a mother develops - nurse, teacher, confidante, maid, cook, personal shopper, seamstress..... What a CV!xx

countrymousie said...

Great to have your blogs back to normal - well you know what I mean - sorry little one is still poorly - your mum can do a bit of fussing and perhaps a bit of dusting wont hurt her!!
Get yourself a treat whilst you are out - something edible or drinkable will do. Lots of love

DevonLife said...

Yes agree with mousie, get your mum to do it all while you go and ooohhh have a coffee / manicure / kip

Milkmaid said...

Glad you don't co-ordinate your underwear drawer, or other such Anthea Turner type activities, I've stopped late night blogging, but S nearly did his nut when he found my still at the computer an hour after he last looked opps

toady said...

The unkempt look is de rigeur this season, well that's my excuse. Toady

Deborah said...

Cabin fever can seriously set in when you *have* to stay in. You have my sympathy!

Carah Boden said...

Sorry to hear your little one's been ill. I know how you're feeling tho - used to get it when mine were all younger and just getting out the door at all was an achievement (never made it before 4.30pm just as the shops were about to shut!). These days I get like that when the fog sets in up here...it's like your whole world has been confined to four walls - inside and out. That's when I start twitching and chewing the curtains and talking to stray sheep...!

. said...

Anyone who co-ordinates their underwear drawers needs to get out more! I like your style of housework, it is the same as mine.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

If you are lonely just pop over and see me for a chin wagand leave Mother with the kids!!

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

hurray, you are blogging and the site seems to be motoring. i have the reverse of cabin fever today. been away from home for two days and suffering from serious homesickness. there's no pleasing us is there?

Faith said...

I know someone who DOES co-ordinate her underwear drawer - well she's got lots of underwear to co-ordinate! Hope little one better soon.

Milla said...

classic, all that delivery van / displacement activity stuff. Loved it. And your other ones which have just caught up on. Adore window seats!

Pipany said...

Morning Suffolkmum - and what the hell am I doing here at this time? Says it all really! I have to be dragged away from thehouse at the best of times and yet I know it's bad for me to hide away so - unkempt hair rang a bell! Hope the little ones feel better soon xx

Chris Stovell said...

Hello, just popped by to say good to see you, I've been feeling very low, hopefully coming out the other side. Hope you and yours are on the mend.

Fennie said...

Hello SM, You will have to believe that I wrote you a lovely witty comment yesterday but then the machine went and 'lost' it as I was still in between google accounts and now I can't remember what it was - oh yes, something about how strangely rapidly you forget the time when your children were young. Make the most of it however hard it may seem.

DevonLife said...

Hey Suffolk - reblog posting!

there is no easy easy way. You just need to cut and paste them one at a time and post them as a new post. But they will all come up as your current blog. So it will all come out a bit backwards I'm afraid. I posted them all up before I stepped back into blog world.

There may be a better way but I don't know it!

Norma Murray said...

Hi while you are at home looking for stimulation any chance that you could explain to me how you manage to set up your archive so effectively. I'm jealous. I've tried and failed.
There's a little hint to help with the house work on my blog
Best wishes, hope the kiddies are better soon.

Tattieweasle said...

Hope all better by now - if not sleep well and soon will be!

Pondside said...

Sorry to hear that you have a sick wee one. Take care of yourself too, or you'll go all (what we call) shack whacky! Cabin fever sounds so much more refined.