Monday 23 April 2007

Saturday night was a blast; dinner with lovely friends, who I always want to describe as old friends, because it seems like we’ve known each other for years, although in fact it’s nothing like that long. We talked for too long, laughed too loudly and drank too much; in fact at one point I noticed that we were all talking at the same time, babbling away to our wine glasses. Ever since I first had children I have known that I cannot do hangovers any more; on Sunday morning I really truly knew it. So by Sunday evening, having spent a gentle pottering day, accompanied by the furies flying around in my head, I felt I deserved to have a long bath. So I had the longest, deepest, hottest bath ever. Alone. (If anyone else has read the Jill Murphy books about the Large family, my attempts to get in the bath without the children are broadly similar). The bathroom right at the top of our narrow cottage is perfect for a solitary soak, having a bath but no shower, the shower room downstairs being the hub of morning activity. Upstairs is more of an evening place, and I certainly turned my ‘quick bath – can you make sure the children are occupied/asleep/not bothering me’ – into a whole evening. If you twist yourself around at a bizarre angle, head at the uncomfortable tap end (I go for the mermaid look, but fear I’m more of a flounder), you can gaze through the uppermost window, to the treetops and beyond. I watched the birds swooping and diving in the vaulted sky until twilight slowly fell and the stars began to shine. My mind could take in nothing but sky and water, clouds and bubbles. If you keep your eyes trained heavenwards, your thoughts don’t get snagged by the sharp edges of earthly mess; the neighbour’s abandoned caravan, the pile of rubble from his extension, the neglected bit of our garden, all thorns and nettles, the pile of towels and clothes on the bathroom floor.

Peace is so fleeting; today youngest is poorly – pale and wan, she needs my full attention. Nothing like a conflict between my maternal instincts and my irritation at my child-free morning vanishing before my eyes. Back to reality.

15 comments:

muddyboots said...

must say l enjoyed child free mornings once Harry started school, now, ha, he's here working for us which leaves me only one child free day, at least l don't have to drive him to the school bus / train anymore. l just have to pay him. something wrong there?

toady said...

We've only got a shower room, no bath and some days I would kill for one, even if I got the tap end. ToadyXX

Pipany said...

Morning Suffolkmum. I know exactly what you mean about the childfree bit - feels bad to admit it, but I have been trying to persuade Isabella she needs a nap for the last thirty minutes or so! She finally gave in and now I feel guilty! Ridiculous as she usually sleeps now anyway. I give up! Lovely to be here and reading you again x

Posie said...

Bath sounded bliss, still not got the happy farmer to fit a shower here. Hope youngest is better soon.

Kitty said...

I am learning to love my Roman Sarcophagus bath. It affords peace and quiet (bribery needed for this bit) and a similar view to yours, if you sit up very straight and crane your neck a bit.

DevonLife said...

Why do hangovers get worse as you get older. Surely that's a trick by mother nature too far?

BTW re old blogs, I write in word and then cut and paste so spent a laborious half hour copying them all over so I never have to visit CL again

countrymousie said...

See back to blogging greatness.
Sorry about littlely - this feels better to have a home doesnt it.
Just realized Tattie comes from Stowmarket - another suffolk blogger!!

Woozle1967 said...

Wonderful - bet you got out all rosey red! Nothing beats a bit of "me time".xx

Exmoorjane said...

Oh crikey, so excited that have actually found someone's blog and can comment on it that i've now entirely forgotten what you said!!! But sure it was lovely as always (but probably won't ever find it again to check!).....I WILL get the hang of this...
loads of love
janexxxx

Sally Townsend said...

I cannot imagine that you are anything like 'Mrs' in those wonderful books though !!

Eden said...

OOh that bath sounds fab. Laying in mine I look at bad eighties floral tiles in grey and pink, never a combination that inspired me even in its heyday. Usually I just close me eyes, therefore and smell the Neals Yard. Hope little treasure is better soon. Hubby back on Wed. Counting days.

CAMILLA said...

A nice long hot bath, lots of bubbles, scented candles, wonderful The only trouble is,the doorbell usually rings, or there is an unexpected delivery, and my two dogs end up barking out loud, they obviously thinking - we are the guard dogs, beware. Not so though, they would probably lick you all over. Thank you for your message Suffolkmum. Camilla.xx

Deborah said...

Long hot soaks in baths are a rariety round here at the mo. More like a squeeze in shallow, lukewarm water with a toddler....x

Pondside said...

Bliss - a bath. I love mine, the bubblier and foamier the better. I also remember those rare morning-after-the-party headaches - the only explanation for the children is that "Mummy has the flu" and then head for the bath and couch!

annakarenin said...

Yep! presently our bathroom is situated next to the sitting room and opposite the kitchen. The bath itself is monster size so everyone bar me wants to keep it. I have told them I will put it in the garden as a paddling pool whether they like it or not we are having our bath upstairs. The previous owners built an extension with a toilet and sink on 1st floor but no bath even though the room is big enough??